PDA

View Full Version : Swelling of Dewlap

nicki
05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
As I have posted previously my bunny Alice has been very seriously ill with a gastric disorder and this week an enlarged liver, raised liver enzymes and weight loss. She is holding her own at the moment, is bright, painfree and eating and drinking well though I am well aware her outlook is very poor.

This morning, I have noticed that her dewlap appears much bigger than usual and am not sure what this means. Any ideas?

Nicki

Jack's-Jane
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
If she haslost weight then her dewlap will look bigger, but obviously this wont happen overnight.

Does the dewlap feel full and fatty or empty and saggy ?

nicki
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your reply,

It feels full and soft and it is even all the way around. She doesn't like me touching it right under her chin but I know rabbits are sensitive there.
We didn't notice it earlier in the week.

Nicki

Jack's-Jane
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for your reply,

It feels full and soft and it is even all the way around. She doesn't like me touching it right under her chin but I know rabbits are sensitive there.
We didn't notice it earlier in the week.

Nicki

How much weight has she lost this week?

nicki
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
She had significant weight loss prior to this week. It has stabilised this week. She has had a change of medication following the diagnosis of liver enlargement. She is on 3 drops metacam and metaclop. She is eating well but I am topping her up with recovery food and readigrass. She was sent home with a view that she would have to be put to sleep anytime. I am yet again surprised she is still here. She is stronger and drinking less also.

Nicki