• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would it be counter productive to bring buns in tonight?

xxranxx

Alpha Buck
Just for about half and hour whilst the fireworks go off (theres a firework display very close to my house) theyre in a shed and have two cat boxes full of hay to hide in but im worried the fireworks will sound worse in the shed than in their old hutch, and max hasnt had a bonfire night yet.
My worry is flora, the police helicopter was above our house on night quite low and loud and the next day flora wasnt herself wouldnt move and spent all day at vets pain relief and zantac. im worried the fireworks will have the same affect :(

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring them in with some tasty food just whilst the fireworks are actually going off then put them straight back out ? or just leave them alone ?

Should probably mention they dont often come inside really hence me thinking it might be counter productive?

Just for about half and hour whilst the fireworks go off (theres a firework display very close to my house) theyre in a shed and have two cat boxes full of hay to hide in but im worried the fireworks will sound worse in the shed than in their old hutch, and max hasnt had a bonfire night yet.
My worry is flora, the police helicopter was above our house on night quite low and loud and the next day flora wasnt herself wouldnt move and spent all day at vets pain relief and zantac. im worried the fireworks will have the same affect :(

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring them in with some tasty food just whilst the fireworks are actually going off then put them straight back out ? or just leave them alone ?

Should probably mention they dont often come inside really hence me thinking it might be counter productive?

Like you, I wonder if the stress of moving them would be more than the stress of the noise. I had wondered about popping mine in a carrier with lots of hay, bringing them into an unseated room and putting a big blanket over them. However, when there were fireworks going off last night I went out to check on them and they were fine and took the food I offered them so I will just leave them. Could you be out with them to keep and eye on them and have some tasty treats on offer?

Luckily i live in a vilage and there are not too many fireworks going off, but i still worry, my first rabbit poppy was really scared of fireworks and thunder aswell, she was previously a house bunny so bringing her in was not an issue. But even when she was a house bun and safe inside her hutch, one night there was loud thunder, i went to check on her and she was running backwards and forwards, so i gave her a cuddle and she calmed down. there were only 1 lot of fireworks for her as an outside bunny and i went to check on her, gave her a cuddle and she wasn't too bad, think she just needed a cuddle to calm down, similarly with my guinea pigs, a couple of them get scared of fireworks, so i give them a cuddle and they calm down.

you could leave them outside but go check on them when they start and if they are really scared, cuddle them, if they don't calm down, then you could bring them inside.

Awww this is the main reason I logged on today, personally I've been pleAsantly surprised how mine cope with the fireworks, they don't like the really loud almost bomb like bangs but they are pretty chilled - I've just been putting food out (dill) & a snugglesafe with each pair & they seem fine, one of my pairs has a hutch inside an aviary & I have put them in the hutch which also makes them feel secure the other two do stay in their shed - I'd personally keep things as normal as possible, maybe offering a dandelion or some dill now & again for your piece of mind but make them feel secure but I'd avoid bringing in outdoor rabbits myself :wave:

I might do if something like a helicopter put her in stasis but then again moving her could be just as stressful unless she's used to it? Can you cover the hutch and put the radio on?

Next time you might want to prepare well in advance getting them used to noise (or moving) if your bun reacts so badly, hope she's ok!

Been debating this with myself all week. I have taken outdoor buns in on previous years on bonfire nights and they've seemed even more stressed by that. However neighbour having fireworks tomorrow night which is really close to their shed :? not really sure what to do

I've got six outside in a one, three and two, so there is no way I can bring them all indoors. I think it would stress them out too much anyway. I've just fed them and tucked them in for the night. Am going out to a display shortly and will check on them again when I get back. They were all fine last year (although I didn't have Bumble then).

George and Gemma (indoor) seem totally unaffected as do my other three indoor buns. I think having bunny company really helps and it is Bumble I am most worried about as he has such poor sight. If he looks stressed when I get back later I may bring him inside for a short while. I won't be gone long - the display I am going to is an early one in a nearby village but most of the fireworks near me don't seem to start until the pubs close :cry: Last night I heard them at 1.00 am - am sure there must be a law against that - or if there isn't there should be!!

Like you, I wonder if the stress of moving them would be more than the stress of the noise. I had wondered about popping mine in a carrier with lots of hay, bringing them into an unseated room and putting a big blanket over them. However, when there were fireworks going off last night I went out to check on them and they were fine and took the food I offered them so I will just leave them. Could you be out with them to keep and eye on them and have some tasty treats on offer?

iv been out and checked and the girls seem fine (they are the ones that have had 1 bonfire night before) but max looks worried :( hes taken a fenugreek crunchie and so have the girls. when the proper display starts it will be super loud so think il pop out and take the big bunch of parsley out to tempt them, if theyre settled then im just going to leave them be. iv just been out and put one of those flower garen treats in from pets at home broken it into bits and dotted it about and the girls were nibbling that max had a sniff and sat in litter tray so hopefully hel settle :)

I might do if something like a helicopter put her in stasis but then again moving her could be just as stressful unless she's used to it? Can you cover the hutch and put the radio on?

Next time you might want to prepare well in advance getting them used to noise (or moving) if your bun reacts so badly, hope she's ok!

she didnt actually go into stasis, i cant really explain she just wasnt her usual self and didnt want her to go into stasis so took her straight to vets and they kept her in to keep and eye and she ate there soon after i left her so think she just got stressed and upset with helicopter. shes in a shed so iv closed off the run early, cat boxes full of hay to hide in, treats dotted about, theyve eaten all there tea and veg earlier so they werent upset too much and not eaten. i didnt think about preparing anything in advance with them already having one bonfire night, just wondering more as their now in a shed and it sound louder some how than in a hutch :lol: their not used to coming in so i think il just go out and sit with food for them. thank you though :)

I checked on Bumble when I got back earlier. He didn't look like he had moved but part of his carrot had been nibbled so he must have done. I gave him a cuddle and then put him back in his hutch. I will go and see how he is doing before I go to bed later. I think bringing him indoors will stress him, but he looks so lonely outside on his own in his big hutch. I MUST bond him soon.

I am glad they seemed settled. I have been in and out all evening! I thought they were loud but then a close neighbour set some off and I went dashing out. I took pellets with me and they all started munching immediately. I was getting freaked by how close they were but they didn't even flinch!! I am so pleased for them that this isn't an ordeal.

Back