• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maddy's last walk

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know if anyone thinks its morbid to post these, I feel able to share them though. I was actually taking photos on the day she died, I tend to take photos on every walk. This is actually the walk where she broke her back, and where she died. Horrible thought. The ones of her splashing in the water really were about 10 minutes before she fell.

This was her absolute favourite place to go for a walk. She loved Loch Innes. If she had to die the way she did, I am so so glad she died here, where she loved. This walk was left of our house. There are maybe 4 or 5 regular walks we do, 4 to the right of our house, and this one to the left. She always always turned to go left when we went for a walk, she always wanted to go round here! :love: She did love it.

Maddy's last walk by Niseag, on Flickr

I wish I had gotten more of her, but she was so busy 'doing stuff' she didn't want photos taken! :lol:

Last edited:
Im so sorry i must have missed the post i didn't realise maddy had passed away :(

Great pictures tho they all look so happy

Last edited:
oh WOW that is a beautiful place to have a walk, not morbid at all. Maddy looked like she was loving it and as you say she was in her favourite place when she died.

It was a tragic accident but as some say its quality of life and not quantity and those few years maddy had looked to be pure quality.

Im so sorry for your loss x

It's nice that you have so many lovely photos of her, and these will remind you of what a brilliant life she had right until the end.:)
I don't think it's morbid at all, it's tragic what happened but I think of all the ways to die a sudden death you didn't see coming while you're doing your favourite thing, is probably a pretty good way to go.:)

I hope you don't mind but I saw this painting the day Maddy died that reminded me of the two of you.
21csx.jpg

You live in such a beautiful place.

Maddy was very lucky, she had someone to love her, doggy friends and she obviously enjoyed life. Sadly some lives are short but forunatley Maddy had a fab one. Freak accidents are always shocking and heartbreaking and my heart goes out to you but in some ways it is better than an animal suffering a long protracted illness.

it is a beautiful place and your animals are beautiful too. i'm sorry about maddy. she must have had a wonderful life with you, though, and that's some thing to celebrate. thank you for sharing the photographs.

It was a terrible tradgedy but look at how happy and lucky she was. Beautiful pics, so bittersweet. RIP beautiful girl xxx

Its nice that you got such lovely pictures of her on her last day. I dont think they are morbid at all, its something to treasure. Some people dont take many pictures then regret it when their pet passes away. Maybe you should treat your self and get a painting or something to remember her by. How is your other dog doing? He/she must miss Maddie too

Its nice that you got such lovely pictures of her on her last day. I dont think they are morbid at all, its something to treasure. Some people dont take many pictures then regret it when their pet passes away. Maybe you should treat your self and get a painting or something to remember her by. How is your other dog doing? He/she must miss Maddie too

Thanks :) I have two other dogs, Todd and Lucy. They seem to have accepted it now too, its been 6 days. Of course it helps that I have another dog staying at the moment (I am a dogsitter).

Thanks :) I have two other dogs, Todd and Lucy. They seem to have accepted it now too, its been 6 days. Of course it helps that I have another dog staying at the moment (I am a dogsitter).

Aww im glad they are doing ok, time heals and im sure the arrival of the new pup will help it to be a happy time to remember rather than just a sad one

Very precious photos and it looks like she had great fun. Its a very beautiful place to die.

Kat that is a lovely poignant painting.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am about Maddy. These pictures are beautiful and captured the fullness of life, no morbidity here at all. :) Thank you for sharing them.

How stunning these dogs are running by and standing in that cold loch for a drink of water! :) Your landscapes remind me of places here in Alaska. My hubby, whose family are of Scottish/Welsh descent, says Scotland is similar to some places here.

I had a wonderful huge dog, a MacKenzie River Husky. (now I have a wee Yorkie...she's like a beanie baby compared to him) They are freight dogs and for them not to run is like not breathing. He developed kidney failure and spondylosis and was very frail and unable even to hobble out to potty when he left us. We had 14 years with him, but except for when he was sick, it never seemed enough time.

I have one video of him walking with me a year before he died. It's trapped on my failing hard drive and I have to get it moved to a new PC before I lose it altogether. I wish we had taken more of those walks together, or that I'd paid better attention to how his health was failing at the end. I often feel like I didn't do enough for him.

Hold onto these lovely memories, they are what help us get through all those 'what if' moments. Bless you. :)

Back