• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Rehoming from Gumtree

Hi all, you all know I desperately need a wife for Wils....Well I wanted to know what your feelings were if I find a doe on gumtree someone is carelessly giving away in my area? I was thinking I could contact the vet they're registered with to check age, spaying, vaccinations & general health, because you can't trust anyone..

I hate look at these adverts because of they're pathetic reasons for giving up a animal and there is far far too many for rehoming..but needs must xx One of the rescues suggested it x

Please do consider that many of the rabbits who are advertised on free ads will never have been vaccinated or seen a vet :(

There are also lots of rescues which cover the Ashford area including HAWS, RSPCA Hillingdon, RSPCA Middlesex, TRC, RSPCA Reading, The Mayhew, Riverside Animal Centre, Furry Friends, Bobtails, RSPCA Millbrook, Animal Lifeline and ARC who may be able to help you find a suitable rabbit.

Please do consider that many of the rabbits who are advertised on free ads will never have been vaccinated or seen a vet :(

There are also lots of rescues which cover the Ashford area including HAWS, RSPCA Hillingdon, RSPCA Middlesex, TRC, RSPCA Reading, The Mayhew, Riverside Animal Centre, Furry Friends, Bobtails, RSPCA Millbrook, Animal Lifeline and ARC who may be able to help you find a suitable rabbit.
Believe me I'm trying to go this route first x

From what you have said before you were looking for a permanent foster because you had space time and a bunny in need of a friend but couldn't afford the vet care?

I think it's entirely up to you were you get your rabbit from but otentially one from freeads could be vastly more expensive than adopting a bunny from a rescue. Obviously there are no guarantees but with a rescue you should know exactly what you are getting but you would be very lucky to find that on freeads.

From what you have said before you were looking for a permanent foster because you had space time and a bunny in need of a friend but couldn't afford the vet care?

I think it's entirely up to you were you get your rabbit from but otentially one from freeads could be vastly more expensive than adopting a bunny from a rescue. Obviously there are no guarantees but with a rescue you should know exactly what you are getting but you would be very lucky to find that on freeads.
Financially things have changed now thankfully xx

That's brilliant. Maybe you could consider rabbits you potentially wanted to take on but didn't think finances were feasible and you weren't allowed to permanently foster. I really hope Wilson manages to find himself the perfect friend :D You'll have to be sure to post pics if and when he gets someone :D

ETA- along those lines, make sure you think about what you will do if they don't bond. That is often far easier to sort than if you get from Freeads.

I think the things that would worry me when getting a Gumtree bun would be quarantining and what would happen if the buns refused to bond. With a rescue bun you would know how healthy they were and you could try another bun if the bond didn't work.

I hope you find the perfect wifebun for Wilson soon xx

All three of mine have been from Gumtree, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Each time it has gone fine, no lying, no cheating, and everything as the ad said.

I got my girls first, the woman was so nice, she came and met me at the station with them, and they were exactly 'as described' so to speak. I got Arran over a year later from a Gumtree ad, he was advertised as neutered and friendly (both of which he is, I had my vet check before I put him with the girls).

I would happily get rabbits from Gumtree again, probably more than a rescue, as I don't have any rabbit rescues near me, and I think a lot of them are too strict anyway.

Back