• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating 24 hours post-spay

adorabun

Young Bun
Hi guys. Need some advice.

My 6 month old Netherland Dwarf, Eva, was spayed yesterday. She's pretty ok, she doesn't seem to be in much pain, she's been hopping around a little bit and is happy to snuggle with her bonded partner. However she's not eating any food. She's tearing bits of cardboard from the bunnyproofing in their room and eating this instead. I've left all her favourites beside her (fresh herbs from the garden, lettuce, carrots, banana, pellets) and even tried her with 3 different types of baby food (fruit, carrot, porridge) all to no avail. She pooped a small amount (3 poops and a cecotrope which she ate).

Having left her for 24 hours in peace hoping she'd eat, I thought it time that I intervene. 2 hours ago I syringe fed her a mixture of soaked pellets and critical care. She took 5 mls before dribbling it out and refusing any more.

I'm leaving her in peace for another few hours in the hopes that she'll eat and poop. Just wondering if you guys have any advice? If she continues not eating, how often should I syringe feed her and how much?

I would be getting her to the vet first thing if there is no improvement overnight. I would try her wit the mush every couple of hours. She will only eat what she can but keeping it frequent will keep her insides going.

Just be careful to only give her a little each mouthful and to aim for the inside of the cheek, not the back if the throat.. Food easily goes downthewrong way when you are syringe feeding and this can lead to choking and pneumonia. Not trying to be scary, just something to be careful of.

Before any of this though, pain relief is an absolute must and she has to get some tonight.

In all honesty I would not be waiting another second, she needs to be seen tonight, for some pain relief, possible fluids and gut stimulants.
Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

Thanks so much for all your replies guys. I forgot to say in my original post, she's had metacam (0.3 mL in the am and will get 0.3 mL again before bed) and antibiotics. I rang the vets earlier and they're not worried about her being in pain, neither am I as she's bright and hopping around. She just doesn't want to eat proper food, she only wants to gnaw on cardboard! It's quite strange. The vets advised I give her critical care tonight and if she's still not eating to bring her in first thing in the morning. I will certainly be doing that if she hasn't had proper food by 9am.

Just a word of warning, don't let her ingest the cardboard as this will only slow her gut down even more and at worse could even cause a blockage. The reason she is showing the cardboard so much attention is because she is craving fibre as Stator mentioned earlier.
Things like willow, Apple twigs, Bramble leaves are good.

Last edited:
I hope Eva starts eating soon.

It took Poppy a while to get eating again after her spay, she certainly didn't eat for 24hrs, probably more. It is a big op for a little bunny & the whole thing has probably been stressful for her. Hope she's back to her normal self soon.x.

Just a word of warning, don't let her ingest the cardboard as this will only slow her gut down even more and at worse could even cause a blockage. The reason she is showing the cardboard so much attention is because she is craving fibre as Stator mentioned earlier.
Things like willow, Apple twigs, Bramble leaves are good.

Thanks for the advice :) I've left willow twigs out for her and she had a little nibble which is good. We don't have any brambles near where I live (in the city) but she has a bowl full of strawberry leaves and herbs from the garden just waiting to be eaten *crosses fingers*

Jayney said:
I hope Eva starts eating soon.

It took Poppy a while to get eating again after her spay, she certainly didn't eat for 24hrs, probably more. It is a big op for a little bunny & the whole thing has probably been stressful for her. Hope she's back to her normal self soon.x.

Thanks so much, your post is very reassuring. Hopefully it's just the stress of it all which has her off her food and she'll be back to normal soon. I'll be keeping a very close eye on her in the meantime.

Hopefully it is. If you haven't already try waving her favourite things literally in front of her mouth, I know when mine have been off their food before this has sometimes persuaded them to have a nibble & start eating on their own again. I remember how stressful it was with Poppy but she was fine in the end altho it took her a good few days to be back to her normal self (i remember being so worried), im sure most people on here
Know how stressful the whole thing is for us & the bunny. I hope Eva is feeling more up to eating by morning.x.x.

Hope Eva is feeling better soon and glad that she's feeling bright enough to nibble stuff. Mine barely moved for nearly 36 hours and I remember what agony that was (for me not them) If you are really worried contact your vet though i suspect the little ******* like getting the last groat out of us!! :D

Thanks so much guys for your help and reassurance. I gave her a syringe feeding and some metacam before bed, then got up at 8am (not easy on a Saturday but I'd do anything for my pets!) to watch her. I was delighted to find a little pile of poops in the litter tray and a few dotted around the room. They're small and misshapen, but better than nothing! And in the past two hours she's had a few mouthfuls of herbs, lettuce and hay. She's eaten for a couple of minutes 3-4 times. Absolutely delighted! Gonna keep a close eye on her all day to make sure she keeps eating.

Thanks Sky-O! She just had a major grooming session with her bonded mate Einstein. She cleaned him from top to toe and then when he was flopped contentedly next to her, picked up a willow twig and whacked him with it! He jumped a mile! They're now having a tug of war/Lady and the Tramp moment nibbling from either end. Too cute :)

Yay, so glad to hear she is starting to eat & seems on the road to recovery. She's got the right idea, when your feeling better-hit your man on the head. They sound just too cute.x.

Back