• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIPSTICKS..... they really are!!!

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Another mild day down here in the South West so the two little house monsters, I mean, rabbits, were uncermoniously plonked outside in their 8 foot run while I gave their house den a good clean (including soaking the litter box and washing their 'carpets').

They've been out there since 8am.

Then.... thick clouds came over, and rain started to fall.

What did they do?

Instead of sitting under the half of the run that is covered in tarpaulin, or going into their wooden waterproof snuggly hidey box...... they sat in it.

*prompt refilling the litter box and finishing their den*

They are now back inside, scoffing hay.

Does anybuns out there have sense NOT to sit in the pouring rain????

Estelle runs for cover....................clever girl!!:thumb:

Frankie hides under a large suspended drainpipe. The water runs round it and off onto him!!!:roll::roll::roll:

He does this everytime, so I don my raincoat and try to persuade him to go somewhere in the dry. One day he might learn.

I think it's simply that they like to be able to see hear what's going on round them - predator awareness - unless they're in their safe place. Rain drums deafeningly on a tarpaulin, or even perspex, & vision is restricted on all sides.

My boy would also sit in the rain rather than go under a tarpaulin when he had a run. Since he's free ranged with constant supervision, he charges indoors ahead of me when it starts to rain.

Similarly you should see the look I get when it's play time & I open the door to show him it's raining. "Well turn it off then - stupid hoomin". :lol:

Our domestic buns are the same species as European wild buns. They still have those basic instincts that being an alive bunny means avoiding being something's meal.

Thats true Thumps. Even though my tarpaulin only covers the top, it does prevent them from seeing above. :) Bless them barmy bunnies! :love:

Haha, I looked out of my window while it was raining and the buns were no where to be seen, I went out to the shed with some goodies and there they all were, sat snuggled up with their respective partners looking all cosy.

As soon as the sun came out again though, so did they.

Haha, I looked out of my window while it was raining and the buns were no where to be seen, I went out to the shed with some goodies and there they all were, sat snuggled up with their respective partners looking all cosy.

As soon as the sun came out again though, so did they.

Your bunnies have got it all sussed out! :)

The 1st time mine experienced rain he was terrified. It was a cloud burst like water bombs, & I was soaked to the skin in seconds. He ran under a thorney gooseberry bush for "safety" (which was quite a good choice from his view point - not so good for me getting him out!:lol:).
He's been a bit sensitive about "aerial attack" ever since.:lol:

I've just put a water bottle inside my shed so that my buns don't ever need to go in their run but I still find them sitting out in the pouring rain :roll:

Back