• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone recommend a large pet carrier (for a conti and his three girls)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Hi :wave:

Can anyone recommend a large pet carrier which would be big enough for Bentley my conti and his three girlfriends.

This week I have bonded Bentley with my trio of Flower Girls and now need a carrier big enough to get all of them to the vets as I daren't risk splitting them. Bentley will need to go for his myxi vaccination within the next couple of weeks, so I want to get something sorted asap.

Their combined weight will be at least 15kg (possibly a bit more as Bentley has filled out since he was last weighed), so it needs to be sturdy. My OH is going to make some sort of trolley so I can wheel them into the vets.

I've looked online at carriers with wheels, but the wheels are like castors and they don't look very strong. I also looked at a 'dog stroller' which is like a pushchair, but it's one of those stiffened fabric carriers and I don't think it will stand up to Bentley's teeth - he'd have his head sticking out by the time I got him to the vets. :lol:

Thanks in advance. :D

I use a guinea pig cage and it holds my 2 (who are quite big) with loads of room to spare. I didn't feel like any cat carriers were big enough. As long as you get one with a sturdy cage top part and sttrong attachments to the base, it's nice and easy to carry as you just carry the wire :) I manage my 2 by myself, and I'm sure you could manage yours probably! You could even add castors or wheels to a dog crate or a guinea pig cage and put a rope on to pull it?

I prefer a guinea pig cage to a dog crate as the high sides make my 2 feel a bit more secure, they look less panicked?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-120-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-15982 , but you could easily get one second hand I think?

They fit easily onto the back seats of the car and I just move the passenger seat back to secure it a bit more. Sometimes I feed the seatbelt through, but N took a shine to it last time so I stopped doing that :roll:

You can drape a blanket over it too if you feel like they want it. I put a bath mat in mine so they have grip :)

P1524_25-05-11.jpg

P1505_25-05-11.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. :wave:

I hadn't thought of using a dog crate or even a piggy cage, so thank you. :)

Milosmummy - is your carrier one of those strengthened fabric ones. If it is, do you think they stand up to nibbling, Bentley has huge gnashers and I wonder whether he'd just end up destroying it. :roll:

Back