• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minnie the fighter.

MPHF

Alpha Buck
As I have mentioned in previous threads Minnie has very bad tooth/tooth root problems and has multiple abscess' on her jaw, We ahve been controlling this with Convenia for nearly 2 years.

She had her last injection last Monday and we said to the nurse who done the jab that she had been a bit dribbly but not all the time. Luckily our vet was there and he had a quick look at her and said her abscess' are getting bigger again and to go back to see him in a couple of weeks. Minnie usually gets a messy bum after going to the vets, we used to think it was the meds but think it is more the journey now.

Anyway on Tuesday evening she wasn't as lively as she usually is then on Wednesday she didn't eat anything and just laid around all day and just wasn't Minnie. I seriously thought this was it, time for her to go. We upped her metacam to the max and gave her some infacol as she felt a little bit gassy. I gave her crushed pellets, pellet slurry, grass, dandelion, hay, banana, but she wasn't eating any. On November 8th she would have been here for 2 years and I so want her to get to this date. At 5.45pm as I watched Neighbours, I just turned my head and there she was tucking into her Pellets. I was so happy I cried. She is almost back to her normal Minnie self.

Just wanted to share what a brave little girl she is and what a fighter she is. I love her soooo much.:love:

:love:

Nearly her second Gotcha Day soon. When I think back to the first year of you guys having a 'Minnie Christmas' to make sure she had one Christmas (was it H's birthday?) and think how far she has come.

I do also wonder if a dental to burr her teeth right down would help when she is struggling. Have you discussed this with Charles?

We have an appointment on Monday evening with Charles. I thought she might need a dental when she went off her food. I know she needs her front ones clipped. Charles was thinking about draining the abscess' but I dont think that would help. I will ask him about burring her teeth. Could she have her teeth done just with sedation rather than GA? Even the receptionist remembered about the Minnie Christmas we had. Minnie is such a joy and it is a pleasure to look after her.

Having had a dental abscess myself and knowing the pain and knowing it was nothing like I'd ever had before, having it drained would ease the pressure and pain from it, which might help, but it would invariable fill up again.

The dental would be done under the lightest whiff of GA possible, but an abscess lancing or draining would be more extensive.

Bless Minnie, sounds like she's a real fighter. I don't know her story, so please elaborate if you feel able :)

I can post the first part of the story for MPHF. :) Or rather, a vague rendition, MPHF, please feel free to correct and adjust and retell :)

I was at the Centre one day and one of the staff members said to me that they had a beautiful dutch in and she was very nosey and interested and nice but that she had a horrible tooth problem and was going to be PTS. She said that she had a massive lump on the side of her face :( I asked what her name was and they said Minstrel. I poddled off into the Isolation block, looked in all the pens, found the most beautiful dutch bunny who looked lovely and sleek and had a chat.

Dash09-10-092.jpg

Dash09-10-096.jpg

Lovely bunny, interested, lively, came over and I thought, aw, such a shame, poor bunny.

A few days later it was the Open Day and me and mum were stationed by the bunnies and when MPHF and Junior MPHF arrived my mum mentioned the dutch (bearing in mind they have their OWN dutch bunny called Minstrel) and when I came over mum told me to show them, so I sneaked them into the Isolation Block (which is technically staff -and me :lol:- only).

As I understand it, they fell in love :lol:

So the next day I was back at the Centre meeting an adopter about Rosie so took the opportunity to have a good examination of Minstrel and a chat with the Manager about Minstrel and find out what was going on.

Now things get a bit blurry and confused in my head, but when I examined Minstrel I found that there was no lump on her cheek, so raised that issue with the Manager, and we went down and looked. I went and stodd in front of the pen Minstrel was in and the Manager went and stood in front of another pen with a different bunny in.

After some laughing and confusion, the bunny that I believed to be a female dutch called Minstrel, was in fact a male dutch called Dash :lol: The REAL Minstrel was not a dutch, but a vienna marked chocolate cross breed :lol: This bunny clearly did have a lump on the side of her face but was also very nosey and interested.

This is the REAL Minstrel

09-11-185Minnie.jpg

So, sheepishly I went back to MPHF and said I got the wrong bunny and explained what had happened. Being the hardy bunny owner she is, she wanted to meet the REAL Minstrel, so back we went and I showed her.

I think that's probably where I should leave it, but I do remember being VERY strict with MPHF about only saying she could take her on if she was sure she could (because I was going through the nightmare we had with Rosie and her adopter at this point- for more on that you can read the link from up there). I had to do a lot of fast talking for Minstrel to get them to give her a reprieve and consider rehoming. I also remember being very clear that if they did take her on, she would have a place with me if they struggled with all she needed- that does remain true, but now MPHF and Junior MPHF have her care off to a fine art and are confident about what Minnie's needs are :thumb:

Thanks Tracy. :thumb:

I also remember seeing Minnie in the isolation block when we were looking at Dash and thought "Awww she's cute" but then I think all buns are. Tracy really fought hard for us to get Minnie and to think she was going to be pts nearly 2 years ago. I will post recent pictures of her on her gotcha day.
It is lovely having Tracy close by to offer help and advice when ever we need it, it's usually a trust yourself answer but even to just get the confirmation from her is what we need.
Minnie is a diva though, big time. She likes to have her banana with her meds on but it can't be an endie piece. She really does turn her nose up at that.

I said when we first got Minnie, to my whole family, please don't get too attached, but she is my Mums fave, she even licks my Mums feet!!:shock: We are all now very attached.:love:

Thanks Tracy. :thumb:

I also remember seeing Minnie in the isolation block when we were looking at Dash and thought "Awww she's cute" but then I think all buns are. Tracy really fought hard for us to get Minnie and to think she was going to be pts nearly 2 years ago. I will post recent pictures of her on her gotcha day.
It is lovely having Tracy close by to offer help and advice when ever we need it, it's usually a trust yourself answer but even to just get the confirmation from her is what we need.
Minnie is a diva though, big time. She likes to have her banana with her meds on but it can't be an endie piece. She really does turn her nose up at that.

I said when we first got Minnie, to my whole family, please don't get too attached, but she is my Mums fave, she even licks my Mums feet!!:shock: We are all now very attached.:love:

:lol: That made me laugh. Sorry, I know I do give that as advice but do really believe it is the best advice in most situations.

Back