• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garage or Conservatory?

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
I need some advice. Last night Mr Fox decided to pay my bunnies a visit :censored: I chased it away but it just kept coming back (like I knew it would) so I moved all 3 bunnies (and hutches) into the garage.
The problem with keeping them in the garage is there's no windows, there is a light but I know they need sunlight. I could move them into the conservatory but that is always either freezing or roasting. All 3 bunnies (a pair and a single) have their full winter coats now, I'm pretty sure their hutches are fox proof but I don't want to risk the hutches not being fox proof or the fox scaring them to death. So, which do you think is better, conservatory or garage?

Personally, i'd say Garage, as long as its never used to keep a car in and the temp stays relatively stable :)

The change in temps in the conservatory could be too much for them, so i'd go garage :)

Thanks for replying Graham, the car is never in the garage so I think I'll just keep them in there and move their runs in as well. I can always keep the garage door open during the day, the dog will alert me if the fox comes back like she did last night.

can you put their hutches in a shed? Then they can free range when it's warmer :thumb:

There's no shed as it's a private let and the hutches are way too big to fit in a shed anyway. After Mr Fox visiting 6 times last night and early this morning I doubt very much whether I'd feel safe enough to let them free range again.

There's no shed as it's a private let and the hutches are way too big to fit in a shed anyway. After Mr Fox visiting 6 times last night and early this morning I doubt very much whether I'd feel safe enough to let them free range again.

I meant free range in the shed, sorry! I think garage it is then, just let it air for a day or two first!

I'd usually say garage but I don't really think it's fair to the rabbits if the garage is pitch black all the time, unless through the day you could make some big mesh gate and have the doors open or something? Or have lights on through the daytime but make sure they get plenty of time in proper sun in the garden

I'm surprised the fox visits because you have a dog. I know foxes are of the dog family, but I thought they were intimidated by domestic dogs?

Couldn't you fox-proof the garden? I know it's rented but if you ask permission and explain why, I don't see why they'd object? Just some small holed chicken wire around the gate and fences should do, unless it's simply jumping over low fences. Ours are 6' so it won't jump in willingly.

I'm surprised the fox visits because you have a dog. I know foxes are of the dog family, but I thought they were intimidated by domestic dogs?

Couldn't you fox-proof the garden? I know it's rented but if you ask permission and explain why, I don't see why they'd object? Just some small holed chicken wire around the gate and fences should do, unless it's simply jumping over low fences. Ours are 6' so it won't jump in willingly.

Foxes can easily jump an 8" fence/wall just so you know.

Foxes can also get through chicken wire very easily, which is why runs should have welded mesh :)

I didn't mean the flimsy silver coloured chicken wire that you can break with your hands, I actually meant the meshy type to which you refer but couldn't think what it was called. The wire we have is coated as well with a green plastic weatherproof coating and since putting it up we've not had any foxes visit. We had foxes visit pre-rabbits, but not since! Bizarre!

Yes, foxes can jump high fences, but will not do so unless they are certain they can get back out if cornered as they won't effectively trap themselves. That's the point I was trying to make. I read about foxes in the paper a while ago and basically was just sort of quoting. :)

I'd usually say garage but I don't really think it's fair to the rabbits if the garage is pitch black all the time, unless through the day you could make some big mesh gate and have the doors open or something? Or have lights on through the daytime but make sure they get plenty of time in proper sun in the garden

We have a light in the garage and after speaking to the owner of the property my oh is going to take the big run to bits (made of aviary panels) and make a gate so that we can leave the garage door open during the day.

It didn't seem to care in the slightest that a great big german shepherd was chasing it. The fences are around 6ft but we can't actually get to them (there might even be gaps in them) because there's bushes in front of the fences.

Back