• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo question

fluffybunny82

Young Bun
Hello,

I have a rescue staying with me who I had spayed last Wednesday. Since the spay she has been doing slimy bunch-of-grapes type poos and has a very odd odour. I'm sure these are the poos they are meant to eat but there is a lot of them, but also normal poos too. Her buddy she was rescued with seems fine. Her little bunny bum isn't covered in hardened poo, but seems to be wet constantly and I've been giving her daily bum baths. All my bunnies are indoors, so little risk of fly strike but windows are open and i guess you never know. She is eating normally and I have her just on hay and pellets and water as was worried she may have an upset tummy. Is she just too sore to bend down to eat these and clean herself or is she sick? I've kept bunnies for 10years and never seen this.... :?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, after paying out for 3 rescue neuters, there mixy jabs and a hutch to keep the abandons in, I could do without unnecessary vet trips... unless you guys advise me to obv!!!

I know what you mean by trying to avoid a vet trip but I think you probably need to. They shouldn't ever be wet around the back end and it could be she has a urine infection. I am just wondering if she could be in pain somewhere. She isn't managing to turn round to clean herself up or eat her cecals which suggests she isn't comfortable. I would get her a thorough check up.

Thanks guys!!

The vet says she's fine but to reduce her pellets to a teaspoon a day. How many pellets do you guys give yours? :?

Less than that :lol:

Glad she is ok :) Although if she were mine she would still be on pain relief after a spay.

Does she eat a lot of hay?

Hi guys, I have cut down on pellets and Smokey is now on pretty much hay and water with a handful of pellet food sprinkled into the hay. Her bottom seems to be getting worse although now it is clear that it is urine that is causing the wet back end. It is her legs, bottom and up over her tail. Doesn't smell ammonia-y but does have a strong odour. The vet nurse who has just bonded her with 3 others for me didn't seem to be worried about it and just advised putting sudocrem on the area if it looks sore. She is eating and drinking now and no change in behaviour as was a quiet bunny when she came in. I'm really worried but have paid for 2 vet consults now which haven't raised any possible causes. I seem to be the only worried one. Any ideas? Your help and advice is very greatly appreciated. I've had bunnies for 10yrs and never seen this before, although I've only just started keeping does... xx

Does she get much calcium in her diet?
If she does then it could be that she has sludgy urine, this can sometimes cling to the fur around the bottom.

Just hay and water, carrots, carrot tops, parsley, apples etc, and now small amounts of pellets. This has only been an issue since her spay, and her diet remains the same as when I rescued her a fortnight before the op. She was dumped in a park so history unknown, although it looked like she'd had a litter not long ago and was dumped with Joe an un neutered buck. I wish I could describe the smell. The vet mentioned giving fiber paste but her poo's are fine, and the vet nurse she stayed with didn't think she needed it

Back