• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coughing/gagging?

MichG

Mama Doe
My little bun Minky is on Baytril, Metacam, Flagyl, Lapizole and Biolapis for poss EC. I have just finished giving her her meds and She seemed to cough 3 times, it sounded like a retch to me. She is fine in herself but it scared me to death. Is this normal? She hasn't done it again since. What might have caused it? She did slurp down a lot of biolapis in one sitting.

i honestly don't know as i've not experienced this.

just bumping your post up in the hope that someone more knowledgeable sees it:)

Was it after being syringed meds? Is it possible that maybe a little bit went down into her lungs and she was trying to shift it?

Yes, I think that's what it must have been. She is fine now and not heard it since. My heart stopped when I heard it. Never heard anything like it. Nothing like a weird bunny moment to cause panic.

Will keep a close eye and take the meds a bit slower tomorrow.

Keep an eye for any pneumonia type problems because that can arise in situations like this. I would be worried about what med it was though because some meds could be exceptionally damaging to lungs, such a soil based meds. I don't know much about any of those with regards to this, to be honest.

may I ask how you are giving the Lapizole? Its quite a lot of fluid and you have to take it really slowly when giving it.

DO NOT ever use the pump action' nozzle that came ready supplied with the earlier style of Lapizole (some vets may still have some of these older models in stock if they do not use a lot) - and personally I would not use the large syringes they provide with it at present - I always use the small 1ml syringes from the vets even though it takes a lot longer to give the meds:)

Aspiration (liquid on the lungs) is a constant worry in giving rabbits meds

As Parsnipbun said, 1ml syringes are probably best to use as they have a smoother pushing action and even if you do release too fast the amount bunny may choke on is minimal. Also when syringing do it really slow, almost a drop at a time and make sure you see bunny swallow before syringing in the next amount.

may I ask how you are giving the Lapizole? Its quite a lot of fluid and you have to take it really slowly when giving it.

DO NOT ever use the pump action' nozzle that came ready supplied with the earlier style of Lapizole (some vets may still have some of these older models in stock if they do not use a lot) - and personally I would not use the large syringes they provide with it at present - I always use the small 1ml syringes from the vets even though it takes a lot longer to give the meds:)

Aspiration (liquid on the lungs) is a constant worry in giving rabbits meds

I always use a 1ml syringe. The last thing she had was biolapis which was from a 2.5ml syringe, she loves it and I think tries to drink it too fast.
She is fine this morning, just going to take it slower when giving her meds this morning.

This sounds so scary! You must have been worried sick. So glad your bun is ok. Lots of love to you both xxxx

Thanks for everyones concern/advice etc. Really means a lot

She is absolutely fine tonight, and took her meds well and no coughing. Thank goodness.

Back