• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't Understand Some of the Rabbits..

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
..being overlooked :cry:
We have had some gorgeous bunnies in the rescue and normally they get snapped up. I mean the young pretty ones..but am saddened that not even those are getting much attention. How much worse is this pet situation going to get?:cry:

I do hope it doesn't get much worse I'm hoping for a miracle for all the overlooked bunnies as they so deserve homes of there own.

I know I often say good stuff about pets at home but they are opening one right by us soon and I do worry that store here will up the need for rescues in my area.... so erm its going to get far far worse if things stay as they are and people keep losing jobs but breeding animals to make a few pennys :(

I might even go as far as saying I have no intention of visiting the place :shock:

we have just adopted little dash this monday, he still has to get his injection and be netured when he is the right age.
we will be looking for a partner for him when he is ready and dash will choose his partner as long as the same size and ruff age.

i will contact as soon as we are ready.

les

we have just adopted little dash this monday, he still has to get his injection and be netured when he is the right age.
we will be looking for a partner for him when he is ready and dash will choose his partner as long as the same size and ruff age.

i will contact as soon as we are ready.

les
thanks Les. what area are you and where did Dash come from?
and nice to see a newbie who cares about rescues :D

Thats why after I took my Small stroke there I desided to rethink our rescue . We are now Rescue /Santurey and the rabbits we will be taken in is the ones that other rescues have found hard to rehome because. Behaviour problems ect. We will still be rescuing and rehoming others but we are in the potion to take in 6 more long terms plus the rescues we have here . And I am pleased that we have offered one of your girls a home here honey for the rest of her life.

I have a dream one day is to have a bootcamp for tempermental rabbits that they can slowly learn to trust us and have a happy life here

I know I often say good stuff about pets at home but they are opening one right by us soon and I do worry that store here will up the need for rescues in my area.... so erm its going to get far far worse if things stay as they are and people keep losing jobs but breeding animals to make a few pennys :(

I might even go as far as saying I have no intention of visiting the place :shock:

If they are making enough profit to keep opening these new stores, surely they can afford to stop selling animals?!

Thats why after I took my Small stroke there I desided to rethink our rescue . We are now Rescue /Santurey and the rabbits we will be taken in is the ones that other rescues have found hard to rehome because. Behaviour problems ect. We will still be rescuing and rehoming others but we are in the potion to take in 6 more long terms plus the rescues we have here . And I am pleased that we have offered one of your girls a home here honey for the rest of her life.

I have a dream one day is to have a bootcamp for tempermental rabbits that they can slowly learn to trust us and have a happy life here

That sounds a lovely idea!:D

I don't think t's the fact they're getting overlooked, I think it's the fact that people can't afford rabbits. Now that rabbit care is becoming more clear, it's more obvious how expensive they are so people decide not to adopt. With it coming up to christmas too, that might be a reason? :(

People need to stop breeding bunnies for a few years then things would improve.
I wish there was a way we could get pet shops to stop selling animals, we should only be able to get animals from rescues and registered/licensed breeders, wishful thinking I know but maybe one day it'll be like that.

I only get my pets from rescues, always have and always will.

Everyone should stop breeding everything for a few years and then maybe the numbers of cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits etc - even horses and donkeys - already in rescues and refuges might find homes.

Certainly, having read about the problems rabbits can have with their teeth, I'm beginning to see that what some parents might think is an "easy" pet is actually far more challenging than the average cat or dog... and potentially more expensive. Have dental problems increased over the past decade or two? Is poor breeding increasing these problems?

I am so impressed by the work so many of you do taking in rabbits in need and lavishing time, love, effort and money on them. It's inspirational.

Do enough people know that there are some healthy, well behaved, pretty bunnies like these ones in rescues? How could you get the word out more so these ones can be re-homed?

I've been aware of rescues for a long time, but always thought of rescue animals as being for experienced owners who are comfortable dealing with medical and / or behavioural problems and cruelty cases - problems which could be expensive if the charity can't pay for ongoing care / special food etc. Any friends and acquaintances' rescue pets I've met have been in that category.

There might be good potential owners out there who don't think they're skilled or confident enough for a rescue animal - because they assume they'd inevitably be dealing with a difficult critter.

I know the above isn't fair on the ill bunnies, but not many people would be able to take on a chronically sick animal as their first pet.

more local advertising and awareness?

I have a rabbit rescue just down the road, and I wouldn't have known about it at all except a collegue's wife volunteers there and he mentioned it.

Do enough people know that there are some healthy, well behaved, pretty bunnies like these ones in rescues? How could you get the word out more so these ones can be re-homed?

I've been aware of rescues for a long time, but always thought of rescue animals as being for experienced owners who are comfortable dealing with medical and / or behavioural problems and cruelty cases - problems which could be expensive if the charity can't pay for ongoing care / special food etc. Any friends and acquaintances' rescue pets I've met have been in that category.

There might be good potential owners out there who don't think they're skilled or confident enough for a rescue animal - because they assume they'd inevitably be dealing with a difficult critter.

I know the above isn't fair on the ill bunnies, but not many people would be able to take on a chronically sick animal as their first pet.

Also this.

My previous bunny before my current pair was a rescue and she was viscious. I loved her, but she was pretty much feral and she would lunge for you. I'm not an inexperienced bunny owner and I wasn't really fazed, but you had to wear thick clothing and leather gardening gloves just to be able to put the food bowl in her enclosure. You got the occasional (and I mean occasional) nose-rub. And occasionally she'd choose to hop up to you for a little fuss. But mainly she was a psychopath.

I loved her and I cared for her, but noone else could or would handle her. I could not have had her around children if I had any. To me, this was my experience of a rescue bun and I think a lot of people would assume that rescue buns are rescue buns because of health or behavioural issues.

Last edited:
I think its similar everywhere at the moment, we have a litter of very pretty young bunnies that still haven't got homes :( We have some lovely bunnies in at the moment, i thought it might be because the change in the weather, and people not wanting to be going out to clean them in this weather? But then as you know Jill, pet shop rabbits are still flying out of the door :( Its so sad.

Back