• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

With reference to the thread about the gumtree ad.

I'm sorry, but I still don't think that is acceptable. I think it is unfair to put animals used to a larger space into such a small one.

I think in a boarding situation, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as they are somewhere that you're happy with, it's for such a short time. They could have a massive amount of space but if you're not happy with how they're being cared for I think it's less acceptable than a small space but somewhere that provides excellent care and attention. Sure, we'd all like our pets to have acres of space but sometimes, you have to compromise when another aspect of their care is more important. It's only for 3 days, don't stress! They'd probably have less room than that if they were kept in at the vets.

To be honest, I'm not sure they should be moved around and have that upheaval, ESPECIALLY as rescue rabbits. (ETA- i mean in reference to those rabbits in the rescue being 'turfed' out of their sheds into smaller accommodation to make way for boarders).

I do agree though that something smaller can be a necessary compromise sometimes, but it is about perspective and not like putting a giant in a 3ft cage, for example.

Last edited:
eh i don't really see a problem with it. it's 3 days. it's temporary. the problem with the gumtree ad is that several rabbits were permanently living in such a small hutch.

I think all I'm saying is:

A.) that post made me feel guilty.

And

B.) we might not know the whole story.

A, maybe it hit a nerve? I think though you need to step back and look at your situation and try to be rational about it, and if you think it needs changing for your bunnies, then work to change it :)

B, People are very quick to judge and make presumptions, so in that respect, I do agree with you, but equally, that photo is a fact and four rabbits shouldn't be enclosed in anything anywhere near as small as that, ever. (In my opinion).

A.) perhaps. And I am working to resolve the situation - so far this year they've had a bigger run and a shed and we've re-done the fencing to make the garden secure for free-ranging. But going away is a problem.

What do other RUers do about going away?

And B.) yes, I suppose. I just really try to see the best in people!!

Last edited:
A, you're working to improve their lives, which is awesome :) It's all any of us can do.

I personally have no wish to go on holiday, so can't answer that question.

B, Seeing the best in people can be as dangerous as seeing the worst, sometimes it's better just to step back and look at the facts you know and then just accept the rest is an unknown.

I think all I'm saying is:

A.) that post made me feel guilty.

And

B.) we might not know the whole story.

Sorry for posting about some rabbits in a bad situation that is not acceptable, I didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty. Didn't think anyone on a rabbit forum would and thought most people would agree with me. As it's temporarily, you shouldn't feel guilty. Yes we don't know the situation of the person selling the rabbits but I still think it's unacceptable to keep so many in those conditions.

I know if I put my rabbits in a 3ft hutch for 3 days, they would barely be able to move, and be incredibly bored. Very unfair.

Sorry for posting about some rabbits in a bad situation that is not acceptable, I didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty. Didn't think anyone on a rabbit forum would and thought most people would agree with me. As it's temporarily, you shouldn't feel guilty. Yes we don't know the situation of the person selling the rabbits but I still think it's unacceptable to keep so many in those conditions.

Don't be sorry. Sometimes it's good to make people reflect.

Its true, the picture doesn't look good. I just try very hard not to jump to conclusions and to try to see the best in people.

I don't have the best setup. But my buns are loved and cared for. I just hope these buns are loved and cared for -even if their hutch is grubby and a bit small.

I personally have no wish to go on holiday, so can't answer that question.
It's never actually holidays. I'm just at that age where all my friends are getting married or their babies are getting christened!!

How big is the run that you mention was attached to that hutch?

If they have a run, say 4x4 attached, I'd say that was okay for just 3 days.

If you dont have the run, then I wouldnt even consider it personally. And I think the reason that you are feeling guilty is because you know it isnt really big enough. My lionhead is 1.7kg and a bit fat, so rabbit size wise she's probably a similar size to your mini-lops, and there is no way I would put 2 of her in a 3ft hutch. My hamster cage was only 10cm smaller than that hutch, and it was only minimum rspca size. I know even my little lionhead on her own would be frustrated and stressed in it and she is really good with being confined.

It is easily solved though. Can you not give your parents your 4ft hutch and keep the 3ft one for the shed? They have the shed 24/7 anyway so only need a snuggly area. Or you could buy a run, even if its a foldaway one, to attach to the hutch so your buns can have 24 hour access to it. Or just buy a bigger setup.

Remember that, even though you may be turfing out the rescue buns, by boarding there you are allowing the rescue to function, without boarders that bunny may not ever have been rescued in the first place.

I kind of no where your coming from! My rabbits at the moment are not in ideal acconidation, their not in 3ft hutches but their not in 6 foot hutchs either.

This is temperary tho, as im planning on bonding 4 of them into a quad next summer!

I feel guilty about it all the time, but I NO its not forever and they will have better accomidation!!

Back