• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milk thistle for seriously ill bun

nicki

Warren Scout
Does anyone know where you can get mik thistle for a bunny who is currently considered to have terminal liver problems? I have read in a couple of places that it could be helpful. My lovely bun was sent home with a view to putting her to sleep in a couple of days with an enlarged liver and very high liver enzymes but she is doing better than I expected - eating and drinking well and reasonably active.

Also which is the best litter for a bunny with this condition - is megazorb safe?

Thanks very much
Nicki

I know you can get the tincture in places like Holland and Barrett but I don't know if it would be suitable for a rabbit. Galens Garden might sell the dried herb.

Milk thistle pellets for bunny with liver disease

Thanks Elena,

I have ordered milk thistle pellets from Galens Garden. It was suggested I could soften and syringe them if she won't eat them but I am not sure about how much to give her. I would appreciate advice if anyone else knows or has dealt with liver disease.

Since coming home after being told there was no more that can be done, she has actually brightened and she is not drinking or weeing as much and is eating well. Droppings are good supported by metaclop. It is hard to know whether to view how she is at all positively.

Nicki

I've just had a rummage in the cupboard and found what I gave to Dudley when his bloods were showing a liver problem. My note says to make uneon advance one milk thistle capsule in 30ml lactulose solution. So I broke open the capsule and stirred the powder into the lactulose. Then you can store that and give it daily. My notes say to give 0.5ml of that solution per kg of bun daily.

Might be worth having a chat with your vet and seeing if that makes sense to them?

Good luck x

Back