• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bentley and the Flower Girls are now a foursome (lots of pics)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
I decided to try and bond Bentley with my three Flower Girls (Poppy, Pansy & Daisy). To be honest I wasn't really expecting success, but needed to try just on the off-chance that they would surprise me......and they did. :love:

One hour into the process and they were all snuggling up together. Bentley did a bit of half-hearted chasing and the girls ran for a few seconds and then just stopped and sat still. He did a bit of humping, which was again very half-hearted, but he would give up after a couple of seconds and just lick them instead. :love:

One of my main worries was the size difference, Bentley is a conti and the girls are around 3kg each. I've been very careful and the only time I really had to intervene was when he decided to start doing binkies, which isn't a good idea when you're a conti in a small pen with three other buns. :roll: He is a gentle bunny, but he can be a clumsy lad, especially if he doesn't have enough space.

Bentley already knew the Flowers as he's been meeting them every day for the past two months, when the girls are out in their run and Bentley is having his freeranging time. They always seemed to like him and would squash their little faces up against the mesh to try and get closer to him. Maybe this has helped with the bonding.

I'm so tired as I've had a couple of nights lying on the floor without much sleep. I managed to get to bed last night, but got up a few times during the night to check on them. It's worth it though. Bentley is so very happy and the girls seem quite pleased too. :love: Fingers and paws crossed that it stays this way.

Anyway, here are some pics....

This was about an hour into the bonding.
Bonding_one%252520hour%252520in.jpg

Bonding%25252002.jpg

Bonding%25252004.jpg

Bonding%25252005.jpg

Poppy & Daisy grooming Bentley (taken through glass so not quite as clear - I didn't want to disturb them)
Bonding%25252006_evening%252520of%252520first%252520day.jpg

Bentley did a happy bunny flop next to Poppy.
Bonding%25252007.jpg

Then I decided to move them into their permanent accommodation. I wasn't sure if I was making the right decision as it was sooner than I would normally have done it, but Bentley was taking a lot of interest in what was outside the bonding pen and I had visions of him jumping out. The height of the pen had to be low enough for me to be able to step into quickly, which unfortunately is also low enough for Bentley to attempt to jump over. I took their rugs and hay tray etc, so all the smells in the bonding pen were transferred into their playhouse and thankfully all went well and they hardly noticed the move.

Everybun working on looking their best
Bonding%25252008_day%252520two.jpg

Poppy grooming Bentley
Bonding%25252009.jpg

and when she thinks he looks smart enough, she lies down next to him.
Bonding%25252010.jpg

Pansy
Bonding%25252011.jpg

A bit of extra grooming, he needs to look good for his girls. :love:
Bonding%25252012.jpg

Poppy & Pansy
Bonding%25252013.jpg

I love it in here Mummy
Bonding%25252015.jpg

Pretty little Daisy
Bonding%25252016_Daisy.jpg

Oh thats wonderful, I have a huge smile on my face. I have always had such a soft spot for the flower girls:love::love:

The one before last picture is brilliant :D

he looks like the cat that got the cream!! :love:

those girls seem to adore him and the pictures put a great big smile on my face as well.
you must be so pleased, well done. :D

It's so lovely to see them snuggling up together Tracy :love:

I'm sure you won't get any problems with the size difference. I think BB Mummy (hope I got the username right) on the forum had a nethie and a giant living together

Awww!! :love: :love: xx

Lovely pics! So nice to see a happy ending! Wonderful! That's one happy bunny, lol! :D

I have a soft spot for the Flower Girls too, great to see them looking so happy with their new 'fella!

I had a sneaky look at this at work but couldn't post and was dying to.

They make a wonderful little group. I hadn't realised how pretty all the flower girls are either, but then I have a soft spot for harlequins. :love::love:

Sadly, after two and a half very happy and snuggly weeks, the bond has failed. I am so upset. :(

Last Thursday I came home from work to find clumps of fur around the playhouse, but everybun looked calm and relaxed. Obviously something had happened earlier in the day, so I decided I would watch them just to make sure that they were all still OK together. Then suddenly, for no reason that I could see, all hell broke loose. Poppy & Pansy started fighting and although Bentley didn't start it, he joined in too. Daisy, the only one with any sense, stayed well out of the way. It was nasty, so I had to intervene straight away and separate them all, not easy when it's a 3-way fight and one of them weighs 6.5kg. The two girls separated and I grabbed Bentley to restrain him and while I was holding onto him, Pansy flew at him and had a go. Then it all calmed down and they all went and sat down again. The atmosphere still felt tense though and I knew I couldn't risk leaving them together in case it happened again.

I gathered up the fur, which was mostly from the girls, and was horrified to find a clump of fur with the skin attached. :shock: I bundled the girls into a carrier and took them inside so that I could examine them properly. Both Poppy & Pansy had a number of small bites on their backs and Poppy had a couple of little bites on her ear, nothing too bad though. It was when I turned poor Poppy over to check her underneath that I found where the little bit of skin had come from, there was a nasty wound on her tummy. :( So off we went straight to the vets and Poppy ended up having the wound stitched.

I can only think that adding Bentley into the mix has changed the hierarchy of the three girls. They are sisters and have always been together and are always very snuggly with each other. Poor Bentley is now on his own again and wondering where his three friends have gone. Just before I removed the girls, he was still going round licking them so he obviously doesn't hold a grudge. The girls are now happily settled together again, so I think they have to remain as a trio. The fight was too bad for me to consider having a go at rebonding Bentley with the girls, so we are now having to think of alternatives for Bentley as I don't want him to be on his own. I don't really want to take on another bunny, but if nothing else works then this might be the only option.

I still can't believe that it has failed. It was such an easy bond, there was lots of mutual grooming from everybun, lots of snuggling and they all seemed so very happy together.

I am so sorry Tracy, I really wanted this to work out.

Would trying Bently with Herbie or Sugar be an option?

So sorry to here this they looked so happy in the photos. I suppose in the end they were all vying for his attention, a real shame. :(

Back