• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How are you meant to forget about somebun who you know you just can't help?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
as title.

I can't get the 3 of them out of my mind, like, seriously, all the time.

3 dwarf lop bunnies, not currently full grown, but 20 weeks old, all female, unspayed, and in one of those glass 'pets at home adoption area' cages. There's barely enough room to take 2 hops. Scared they are all going to find their hormones soon too :(

I've badly got them on the brain and just can't shake it.

How would you shake it? (and getting them is NOT an option)

There's a rex rabbit in the pets at home adoption centre that I saw today. he'd been there for about 2 weeks, and needed to go to a home that had experience of rexes. He was gorgeous. I always love the ones that are in the adoption centres. I just think that if i did get the rabbit, I wouldn't be able to provide a good home for the rabbit (due to lack of space) and my own rabbits would suffer as a result, so that always makes me think realistically.

I think you just have to focus on your own bunnies and making things the best you can for them (which you do anyway) Its a heavily debated subject on here but my personal views are that getting them doesnt solve the problem anyway. Education people and pet shops and supporting rescues is the best way to help

I don't think you can :(

All you can do is maybe promote them to others? maybe try and talk to the staff to make improvements?

There is very little you can do and yes, it is heart breaking sometimes.

You just have to remember there are lots of people who walk in and think exactly the way you do, hopefully one of those will be able to give them the home they deserve.

:( Its so hard isnt it?

I have the same problem when i look at the bunnys in need of homes bit of this site :( I want them all and I know that realistically I cant have more than the two that I have...I might convince hubby that 2 more would be a good idea next spring/summer but for now I just have to keep in mind that I have provided a lovely safe, secure, happy home for two buns who have plenty hay, toys, company, attention and medical care to make them happy and live a nice life...If i had more and more than I wouldnt be able to provide that for Poppy and Daisy :(

The other thing is where does it stop? *if* you were to give the three girls a home (which i know you said wasnt an option) then you might still fell the same the next time you go in and there is more...

I think you just have to focus on your own bunnies and making things the best you can for them (which you do anyway) Its a heavily debated subject on here but my personal views are that getting them doesnt solve the problem anyway. Education people and pet shops and supporting rescues is the best way to help

i agree, it wouldn't solve the problem. It's just im a huge softy. my wife already said "if we had of had the outside space, i'd of brought them home" which is very unusual for her.

From what i can tell, it was the standard generic P@H info on the adoption form by the side, "my owners couldnt look after me any more".

They were 20 weeks old. How the hell do you know if you can look after them or not, if thats really the case? It wouldn't surprise me if they were a accidental or intentional litter and couldn't be 'moved on' :( Two of them looked like female Biscuits, which didn't really help in any way shape or form. The other was an Agouti lop and she was probably the most beautiful of all 3 of them. It's just too sad and my heart is seriously hurting because of it.

I normally boycott P@H these days, but its the only place locally i could buy any nail clippers as i'd broken mine and needed them sooner than any mail order could get them to me.

I'll be back in the area next week so i'll see if they are still there and if they are, i'll speak to the staff about their accomodation totally lacking and minimal hay, and about their hormones. Most of them are just till people who know nothing about animals.

I could actually sit here and cry about it.

It's so, so hard isn't it :cry:
That's exactly how I feel every time I go to the local animal sanctuary. I used to go and clean the bunnies out for them at weekends, but now I have D&D I just don't have time. I want to bring them all home with me, and there's at least 20 :cry:

Oh Gray, what branch was it? Is there another member who could pop in and talk to them if you aren't in the area?

Oh Gray, what branch was it? Is there another member who could pop in and talk to them if you aren't in the area?

Taunton Amy, the one by Dunelm and Wickes.

I don't know anyone else who lives around here really :(

Don't think you can get them out of your mind because you care, you just have to walk away and think we already have two and what affect would it have on them, would it lessen the time and attention you spent with them by having more.

In my case heart usually rules the head, thankfully my husband drags me away from the adoption bunny section and to what we have gone into the store for.

Its a good point you make about the lack of hay situation though, they just seem to provide them with a small almost ball size amount:cry:

Back