• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it normal to greive over a rabbit it feels as though i lost a human

sandysan

Warren Scout
i lost my rabbit monday he was 6 years old , even tho he had teething problems and only 3 teeth left in his mouth i still cant accept my vet was right to put him to sleep ,, i feel as though i killed him for no reason sound silly but its how i feel

It's always a difficult decision, I don't think anyone that goes through it doesn't have a few what if thoughts :(

Some people will think it's weird to grieve over a pet but that's generally because they haven't had that connection, which is their loss. If your rabbit was important to you, part of your life for six years and you loved and cared for them, particularly when they were unwell then of course it's normal to feel that way :)

The bluecross offer grieve counselling if you think it would help to talk it over: http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1742/Pet-loss.html

Its not wierd at all to grieve over any pet, if you love that pet and have a deep connection to it, then its perfectly normal and healthy to be upset! I cry like a baby when i loose one of my budgies! i mourn them for months!
And dont forget you have lots of wonderful rabbit owner friends here who can sympathise and offer you support right here on the forum!

Please dont feel like that :( Im so sorry for your loss :love:

I lost my beloved dog last month. I had to get him put to sleep too. His muscles in his legs were deteriorating and he had kidney failure. Travis was 15 years old. We were prescribed tablets for his muscles but it was causing his kidneys to fail quicker. Everytime i gave him a tablet i knew I was killing him quicker and it was heartbreaking. The only reason i gave him them was because he would of been more distressed about not being able to walk, than going off his food.

I hated the vet who put travis to sleep, i felt like it was his fault that i had lost my dog, when really it wasnt.
It takes time to come to terms with it. I miss Travis so much everyday and i do still cry but i know it was the best thing for him, as you will too.
Its such a hard decision to make, and the pain from losing a pet is unbelievable. I felt like my heart shattered into a million pieces.

Please dont think you killed your rabbit hunny. You done the right thing and you need to keep telling yourself this.

XX

I went through the same when I had to have my cat, Barney, PTS.

I knew there was no other decision, he had advanced Dementia and on that awful day he was unable to even stand :cry:

That was 2 years ago and I still think of him frequently and miss seeing his little furry face and feeling his paws wrapped around my neck when I snuggled him.

Thinking of you xxx

hi, i totally understand how you feel. we lost are dog tramp about 18 months back we new thing wear getting bad and took him to the vets, we wear told it was his kindeys.
we new he would not have long this was just before christmas so we gave the best christmas he ever had.
its taken me around 18 months to get over him, i still miss him, but i had to bring some one new into are life.
little dash.

DSCF1791.jpg

the greiving get easier over the years but, jan 4th is never the same.

les

I imagine that all of us are reading this and feeling sympathy for you. People without pets/those who aren't "bonded" with their pets often struggle to understand this it seems.

6 years is a long time to have something. Even if he couldn't talk, he still showed emotion, he still had needs, and he was obviously a big part of your life.

I hope that you find a way to ease the pain together with friends, family or with counselling. I found that once my family and I had got over the initial heartache of losing Moofy we started being able to talk about him again, and although there are still many tears, we're often smiling at the same time thinking about how wonderful he was.

Wishing the best for you, and many hugs xxx

Back