• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pile of uneaten caceotrophs :(

nessar

Warren Veteran
I realise I've probably spelt that wrong... anyway one of the buns, not sure who, has left a pile of uneaten caceotrophs (around 10-15) next to the litter tray in the 4 hours or so I've been out. I think its Annabelle as she likes to go next to the tray and they are quite small, but could be either of them. They both seem fine and are nomming hay as we speak. We have had a big loss of litter training recently with poops though, and Barney has been producing some weird cylinder-shaped ones, dont know if this is related.

I dont know what could have caused it, they have had a normal diet today - hay, a handful of readigrass and a handful of hawthorne. I assume I dont need to go to the vet, and the stress of doing so may make it worse, but could someone confirm this?

What should I do?

And do I feed their pellets tonight or give them just hay and water?

Do you mean just one 'bunch of grapes'

One of mine does this every now and again. I don't worry too much. I found cutting his pellets down by a little bit made it more occasional. And now it's every now and again. Usually when he's out running around or has a new toy or frankly has something more exciting to do!!

If there were loads I might worry, but the odd one isnt a problem!

Have they had any medication recently? Or have you a lot of fireworks that could be distracting her from eating them? Personally, I would give their normal diet for 24 hours and monitor eating and pooping. If there are no more I wouldn't worry but if it keeps happening over this time a vet visit would be the next step.

Barney is on Bisolvon and a vitamin supplement, they both have an echinacea tablet a day, all were given last night and they've never had problems with either before, its all longterm stuff. No new food or anything either.

I'm in the middle of town and it was early evening when it happened, and as they're indoors I dont think it could have been fireworks scaring them, although I guess another sound might have, but then they wouldnt have done them where they have done, which is right by the window.

Checked both their bums and both are clean. Should I be removing these or shall I leave them? I dont want them to tread or sit on them and get them stuck in their fur. I'll have to remove or move them tomorrow morning in any case as the landlord is coming round.

Its more than just one or two I think, heres a picture, most of those are caceotrophs (sp?) or bits of them, there's only 1 or 2 whole ones, and there are a couple of 'normal' poops (the large round ones), but these are sort of damp :? Everything in the actual litter tray looks fairly normal.

SAM_2286.jpg

Last edited:
Barney is on Bisolvon and a vitamin supplement, they both have an echinacea tablet a day, all were given last night and they've never had problems with either before, its all longterm stuff. No new food or anything either.

I'm in the middle of town and it was early evening when it happened, and as they're indoors I dont think it could have been fireworks scaring them, although I guess another sound might have, but then they wouldnt have done them where they have done, which is right by the window.

Checked both their bums and both are clean. Should I be removing these or shall I leave them? I dont want them to tread or sit on them and get them stuck in their fur. I'll have to remove or move them tomorrow morning in any case as the landlord is coming round.

Its more than just one or two I think, heres a picture, most of those are caceotrophs (sp?) or bits of them, there's only 1 or 2 whole ones, and there are a couple of 'normal' poops (the large round ones), but these are sort of damp :? Everything in the actual litter tray looks fairly normal.

SAM_2286.jpg

I would remove them, they don't normally eat them this long after. It does look like one caecal which has broken up and I wouldn't worry about that. Clean up and keep an eye on them, I am sure they will be fine.

I would remove them, they don't normally eat them this long after. It does look like one caecal which has broken up and I wouldn't worry about that. Clean up and keep an eye on them, I am sure they will be fine.

Ahh okay good, I've only seen one whole one not eaten before and it was a lot smaller than that lot, and random little bits they missed, they are normally so good and have really sturdy stomachs, so I was worried when I saw that pile! So unusual.

Will remove them and keep an eye on the buns. Barney is due his myxi booster this week but not sure if this is such a good idea now if hes under the weather.

Spenser does this occasionally. As long as they are mainly doing normal poops, and eating as usual I would just keep an eye on it.

I think his myxi will be fine unless you notice he is pooing a lot less than usual or there are a lot more cecals in the next few days. You can always phone and ask the vets advice but really, I would treat them as normal.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works :oops:

That doesn't look like uneaten caecals to this untrained eye. They look like misformed fecal poops!

I would assume, that as you say somebun is on medication that their gut is in a not-100% state and this is the result.

I would say that was very mild dysbiosis, and could probably be sorted with adding some probiotics into his diet while he's on the medication.

I'm no expert, but we get this with Ginger quite frequently, as she sometimes can't manage her gut when she's going through a 'bad' patch when she needs to drink a lot more if her kidneys are being stupid and then she can't eat as much and her gut gets all squiffy. We add in extra profibre pellets and restrict regular pellets for a day or two to force her to take in more hay/fibrous material and we also add in extra bramble leaves to her diet at this stage. She KNOWS (in a mini way to thumps_ Thumper) what she needs to make herself feel better. Bunnies are very smart as far as this is concerned in my opinion and i wonder if that may help you guys out?

Do you have any pictures of them Gray? So I can see what to look for.

Like I said I dont THINK the medication upsets Barney's stomach, but the echinacea and vitamin supplement he's only been on for a few weeks, and the echinacea does contain a very small amount of alcohol (the same amount produced by the human body when eating a banana or a slice of brown bread).

He also does echo Ginger's drinking habits, and I think yesterday we got through about 1.2 litres which is more than it has been this week (around 800ml), but at times we have gone up to 2 litres. This is mainly him, Annabelle hardly drinks. I have had blood tests done though and no problems with the kidneys.

He has also been doing a fair few odd-shaped poops over the last few days, and they are varying a lot between big and small.

I will try and get some bramble leaves, but they dont much like them.

Do you have any pictures of them Gray? So I can see what to look for.

Like I said I dont THINK the medication upsets Barney's stomach, but the echinacea and vitamin supplement he's only been on for a few weeks, and the echinacea does contain a very small amount of alcohol (the same amount produced by the human body when eating a banana or a slice of brown bread).

He also does echo Ginger's drinking habits, and I think yesterday we got through about 1.2 litres which is more than it has been this week (around 800ml), but at times we have gone up to 2 litres. This is mainly him, Annabelle hardly drinks. I have had blood tests done though and no problems with the kidneys.

He has also been doing a fair few odd-shaped poops over the last few days, and they are varying a lot between big and small.

I will try and get some bramble leaves, but they dont much like them.

I don't have any, as i tend to clean them up quickly, but i do have some of the first stages of dysbiosis for HER.

P1040911Small.jpg

Can you see how wet and squishy they look, not dry and crumbly like normal fecal poops? Once i see these, its immediately time to push the fibrous foods and only occasionally do i get there too late and she ends up with the small unformed waste fecal poops like from your images above :wave:

Does that help?

The photo you posted Nessar shows normal dry waste droppings, a few 'separated' individual grapes from a caecotroph AND what appears to be 2-3 mishapen darker waste droppings - which probably came with the caecotroph. All to me indicate a transitory mild gut slowdown and/or mild caecal upset probably due to slowdown as there appears to be fur or long waste fibres in those two mishapen waste droppings. But if the waste droppings that were produced AFTERWARDS are larger and spherical and more normal then I would just keep an eye on things and up the hay and fibre today. :):wave:

Hmm thanks guys, and these types of poos generally indicate a slowdown for some reason then? They have both been moulting.

Everything seems fine today, although they havent eaten much hay, so I think I will keep an eye on it and wait and see till tomorrow evening if there are any more symptoms (vets open surgery is 5.30-7pm), then take Barney for his myxi jab and discuss it with the vet. Will also get both their teeth checked I think, although when Barney does have spurs theyre never big enough to see with an otoscope anyway :roll:

I think I'll leave out the pellets for tonight to be on the safe side.

Back