• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flease how do u get rid of them.

shadow05

Mama Doe
i think some one in this house has brought fleas in im not entirely sure but to be on the safe side im making sure that scooter and his home is protected. ive also got to sort my bed out too because ive been biten a lot so im going strip all the sheets off the bed and put it all into a black plastic bag make sure its fully done up and put them in back hall for a couple of days were its really cold. im going to hover my bed to death and the rest of the room will be hovered as well.

my only concern is what to do about scooter because ive got spray for his cage but ive got nothing for him.

so if someone can suggest a shampoo or a spray that u spray into there coats that wud be very helpful thank u.

Given he needs a vet check anyway, because there are questions over his health, I would suggest a vet check and whilst you are there discussing this with the vet and getting something to put on him (the recommended treatment would likely be Advantage, and Xenex is to be steered well clear of).

You will need to use a spray in your room to kill the fleas and suchlike, and for this Scooter will need to be out of the environment for at least 24 hours, preferably a bit longer.

Are you sure it's fleas and not mites? I got some small extremely itchy bites when Mini and Mischa had mites. The vet will be able to take a sample of fur and check it under the microscope for mites. :)

Given he needs a vet check anyway, because there are questions over his health, I would suggest a vet check and whilst you are there discussing this with the vet and getting something to put on him (the recommended treatment would likely be Advantage, and Xenex is to be steered well clear of).

You will need to use a spray in your room to kill the fleas and suchlike, and for this Scooter will need to be out of the environment for at least 24 hours, preferably a bit longer.

the thing is hes not sneezed since yesterday so i do think that its just dust or something. i dont really have the money to be able to do take him to vets i only have 20 quid this week and theres things that i need to get for him and myself. mostly him. i was thinking about getting that bottled spray stuff for fleas that u can get in petsathome. i do have a canned spray thing for his cage ive used it before and it worked quite well.

im also sorting the dog as out as well it seems my dear brother took her down the back lanes that are near our house and its known that if u take ur dog down there they will get fleas and at the moment shes got really long hair. :(

Are you sure it's fleas and not mites? I got some small extremely itchy bites when Mini and Mischa had mites. The vet will be able to take a sample of fur and check it under the microscope for mites. :)

im not sure i havent seen them on him yet and i do check reguarly although he objects to it like always. and ive seen mites before on rabbits. there the ones that look like dandruff except they walk around. ive never seen them on him hes had fleas before and last time i used a cheap flea spot on thing but im not so keen on trying it again.

You need to check if scooted actually has fleas really.

One of my cats got fleas, but the rabbits didn't.

If my rabbit was sneezing on and off, and had sneezed as recently as yesterday and I as concerned for his health, then I personally would get a vet check. That's all that I can say, really.

(And the stuff from Pets At Home is not very effective- something like RIP Fleas would be more effective).

im srry i know its best to be safe than srry but i really dont have the money to take him to the vets if i see nothing wrong with him. at the moment hes eating and drinking fine and hes being just as crazy as he normally is. if i had the money i wud definately take him to be cautious. and i know ur thinking well take him to vets and pay for it later but i wont have the money for it later. things are really tight at home at the moment. hes getting his food and his hay and anything else that i can afford to get him. at the moment im not eating properly at all because its that bad at home. theres literally no food in the house :(

You need to check if scooted actually has fleas really.

One of my cats got fleas, but the rabbits didn't.

ill check him in a bit. i dont think he has them yet but i know there around so id rather do something for him while i can. im going out today to pick up a load of things for him at range and pets at home.

If my rabbit was sneezing on and off, and had sneezed as recently as yesterday and I as concerned for his health, then I personally would get a vet check. That's all that I can say, really.

(And the stuff from Pets At Home is not very effective- something like RIP Fleas would be more effective).

i know and i feel bad that i cant get him checked out but there really is no money for it and he seems alright in himself i think its just the dust in my room.

i know the stuff at pets at home isnt that effective but im hoping it will at least do something for the mean time. id rather use a spray than have to bath him ive already had to do it once this year and i wudnt like to do it to him now especially with it being cold in house.

I'm not thinking that at all. I'm just stating what I would do in a situation if I noticed there was a very recent problem, which is the situation you find yourself in.

If you choose to do something different, then that's your choice, but you have to be able to live with that choice whatever the outcome (bearing in mind that often respiratory issues get more expensive the longer you leave them, that his quality of life could suffer, etc). Equally, having said that, the 'risk' might turn out to pay off.

I can only say what I would do with one of my crew. My advice to you would always be the same as the advice I would give myself, but I'm not going to force you or bully you into making a decision so please don't make assumptions about what I'm thinking of (such as in terms of paying later, etc). All I'm thinking of is the welfare of the rabbit and my comments come purely from looking at that. The rest is down to you.

(having seen your recent reply, I think you need to be careful with what you're doing with regards to treating him, especially if you are bathing him. I've not actually heard of a flea treatment bath for rabbits, so bear that in mind- the most effective treatment is generally a spot on).

I'm not thinking that at all. I'm just stating what I would do in a situation if I noticed there was a very recent problem, which is the situation you find yourself in.

If you choose to do something different, then that's your choice, but you have to be able to live with that choice whatever the outcome (bearing in mind that often respiratory issues get more expensive the longer you leave them, that his quality of life could suffer, etc). Equally, having said that, the 'risk' might turn out to pay off.

I can only say what I would do with one of my crew. My advice to you would always be the same as the advice I would give myself, but I'm not going to force you or bully you into making a decision so please don't make assumptions about what I'm thinking of (such as in terms of paying later, etc). All I'm thinking of is the welfare of the rabbit and my comments come purely from looking at that. The rest is down to you.

(having seen your recent reply, I think you need to be careful with what you're doing with regards to treating him, especially if you are bathing him. I've not actually heard of a flea treatment bath for rabbits, so bear that in mind- the most effective treatment is generally a spot on).

im srry its just that normally when i comment on here i have people saying that too me i know i shudnt have jumped to conclusions. i really am srry.

i wudnt normally take a risk with my pets its not like me at all especially when it comes down to there health but i wudnt take the risk unless if i thought there was even a slight chance of him being unwell. at the moment i do think its just the dust if he does get worser over the next couple of days and he sneezes a lot more than he usual wud than ill take him in regardless of money.

ive applied for a good couple of jobs at the moment im wiating to hear back one of them looks very promising which is good if i get this hell be going to the vets reguarly hes only ever been to the vets once in his life and that was to be neautered. he was checked while he was there too.

im not sure i havent seen them on him yet and i do check reguarly although he objects to it like always. and ive seen mites before on rabbits. there the ones that look like dandruff except they walk around. ive never seen them on him hes had fleas before and last time i used a cheap flea spot on thing but im not so keen on trying it again.

You can't see mites, they are microscopic :)

You can't see mites, they are microscopic :)

yea but doesnt that depend on wat type of mite it is. but the one known as walking dandruff is a fur mite.

anyways if he had skin mites wudnt there be additional syptous like fur loss and more scratching than usual.

plus the type of bites that i have on me i know are from a flea.

ive had a lot of flea bites most were from when i was working at college.

ive just checked him and theres no sign of anything. no fleas, no walking dandruff. hes not scratching much apart from when he sits to groom his fur.

ive got that spray stuff that i was on about im just gonna spray him with that after ive sorted the rest of the room out and the dog.

ive just checked him and theres no sign of anything. no fleas, no walking dandruff. hes not scratching much apart from when he sits to groom his fur.

ive got that spray stuff that i was on about im just gonna spray him with that after ive sorted the rest of the room out and the dog.

What is the spray you have? What brand?

I would be very wary of spraying scooter with chemicals, especially since his sneezing.

If he starts sneezing more frequently then antibiotics will help. Poppy was sneezing quite a lot on and off but just 4 days of antibiotics and she has improved greatly. That cost £33 as well as a check up so maybe you can use that as a basis and save a little each week :) she sneezes from a combination of her teeth and dust.

As for the p@h stuff, my friends guinea wigs had a bad reaction to it and she ended up paying even more for the vets and proper treatment :? But I have no experience with bunnies and fleas, only cats. And me lol... I still have scars on my legs from my nans dog bringing them in the house :roll:

I would be very wary of spraying scooter with chemicals, especially since his sneezing.

Sorry shadow, but this this and more this.

Please don't spray a bunny with chemicals unless its 100% necessary.

That said, its obviously down to you what you choose.

As others have said, you need to treat scooter with a spot on flea treatment suitable for rabbits, such as the ones others have mentioned on the thread. You really shouldn't be spraying him with chemicals unless the vet tells you to do so.

You need to get a decent treatment for your home, vetuk sell some good ones.

Oh, and putting your bedding in a bin bag in the cold for 24 hours won't kill the fleas, it all needs washing at a high temperature and the mattress etc treating with household flea spray.

ive got this to use on him.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/johnsons-insecticidal-spray-extra-33873

ive also got the can hitch and cage spray thingy but i only used that on his litter tray didnt want to use it on his dog crate didnt think it was a good idea.

its the only one i wud have used and only cause ive used the canned spray and because my dog uses there flea shampoo which really works and smells lovely.

Back