• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have travelled 300 miles to vet with my bunny today. U/d

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
I took Uncle for his regular trip to FHB to have his bladder checked and emptied and his teeth checked. I was fully expecting to have to leave him there untill Thursday as she only operates on a Wednesday.
It is a 160mile round round trip.:roll:
I was delighted when she was able to express his bladder easily and said the spur that was growing on his tooth would be ok for a few weeks until he needed his bladder done again.

When we got back home, as usual, he was fine and hungry. But a few hours later he was crouched up in his litter tray with no interest in food. After another half hour he was no better and seemed uncomfortable.
I couldn't take any risk, I rang the vet and at 7pm set off on my second long journey of the day.
In the dark on the motorway I had no way of telling if he was still alive. It was a long lonely journey.

The emergency vet wasn't very rabbit savvy, but I was so relieved to see Uncle seemed a lot better but she thought it would be best if he stayed so FHB could check him tomorrow. I havn't been home long, in total I have spent 7hours on the road today:shock:
I have just rang the vet, he has eaten a bit and his glucose level has lowered:)
What a hassel bunnies are!

Last edited:
I hope you get good news tomorrow.

Frances will be getting a very bad feeling of deja vu no doubt - if was after having his bladder expressed that Artie was discovered to have kidney stones. We did exactly the same, got home, bunny poorly, went back. It was only 100 miles total for me though. I really hope it's nothing serious for Uncle.

Thanks for replies
I am just trying to calm myself down in the hope that I will sleep.

Bunny Buddy. Uncle has had a problem with a stone in the past. I am not sure what his problem was tonight, the chances are he would have been fine wthout dashing back to the vet, but the big question is how long do you wait:?

Really hope they can see what's going on and fix it - he's lucky to have suuch a great owner....

That's real commitment. How lucky is your rabbit to have such a caring mum. Hope he improves greatly today and you can have him home again.

Thanks eveyone.
The latest news is he has eaten overnight:D
I have to ring back at 11am after the vet has seen him.
I hope I will be making another 160round mile trip to bring him home later.
Bunnies eh:?:lol:

Spoke to FHB, said Uncle has eaten his SS pellets but does not look as happy as when shes saw him yesterday (the first time I took him!)
She said now that he is there she may as well go ahead and do the dental, she will also x-ray his bladder for possible stones.
I have an appoinment to collect him in the morning but I feel very tearfull at the moment without him:cry:

I hope Uncle gets through his dental ok and recovers quickly.

I am not sure what his problem was tonight, the chances are he would have been fine wthout dashing back to the vet, but the big question is how long do you wait:?

Totally agree - this is one of the hardest things with rabbits, judging if/how long to leave them :(

Back