• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whiffy poos question - update post 30

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser's poos have been a bit whiffy for some time (don't tell him I'm posting this!). He's eating a better diet than at any time since I've had him, so I'm wondering if some bunnies are just like this. It's not a big issue as he mainly lives outside! Is there anything I should be worried about?

Last edited:
If the smellies are nice, normal, big, round waste poops there's no worries at all. In that situation Spenser has probably decided to spray them with his special bunny perfume. (phewwwww) [It's normal bunny behaviour to mark the boundary of their territory with a mound of poop & spray on it.]

If the smelly ones are soft, (uneaten caecals) he might need ome adjustments to his diet.

If Spenser himself is smelly at the rear end, it's well worth checking if his scent glands are full.

Poor Spenser. :(

If the smellies are nice, normal, big, round waste poops there's no worries at all. In that situation Spenser has probably decided to spray them with his special bunny perfume. (phewwwww) [It's normal bunny behaviour to mark the boundary of their territory with a mound of poop & spray on it.]

If the smelly ones are soft, (uneaten caecals) he might need ome adjustments to his diet.

If Spenser himself is smelly at the rear end, it's well worth checking if his scent glands are full.

Poor Spenser. :(

How do you do that? :roll:

How do you do that? :roll:

There are glands either side of a buns private bits :oops: They look like two slits. Sometimes they need a bit of help cleaning them out :mrgreen: although as a general rule you shouldn't need to do this for them.

There are glands either side of a buns private bits :oops: They look like two slits. Sometimes they need a bit of help cleaning them out :mrgreen:

:roll: *thinking* :roll:

Soo...would I use something like a fragrance-free wet wipe if it looks like it needs doing? Not that I've had a look, I just like to be prepared in case the problem arises! :D It could be that little Cookie needs some help, she's sometimes a bit smelly...:oops:

:roll: *thinking :roll:

Soo...would I use something like a fragrance-free wet wipe if it looks like it needs doing? Not that I've had a look, I just like to be prepared in case the problem arises! :D It could be that little Cookie needs some help, she's sometimes a bit smelly...:oops:

A cotton bud dipped in some cooled boiled water or with a dab of vaseline works well :wave: You must be very gentle though :)

A cotton bud dipped in some cooled boiled water or with a dab of vaseline works well :wave: You must be very gentle though :)

Yes, I was thinking that! Cookie is so small, bless her. I don't think I've ever noticed those scent glands...

Thank you :wave:

Yes, I was thinking that! Cookie is so small, bless her. I don't think I've ever noticed those scent glands...

Thank you :wave:

You're welcome. TBH you wouldn't know they were there unless they were pointed out. Sometimes people think a bun has cut themselves when they see them & don't know what they are! They can be hard to find!

Thanks for replies. :wave:

There is definitely no odour from Spenser himself. When he is the conservatory his basin comes with him, and if he 'performs' we generally know without looking.

Another odd development in his toileting habits is that he has taken to doing a little pile of poops in the corner of his bedroom. They are too far away from the basin to have been deposited there accidently, and they are normal-looking poops.

Thanks for replies. :wave:

There is definitely no odour from Spenser himself. When he is the conservatory his basin comes with him, and if he 'performs' we generally know without looking.

Another odd development in his toileting habits is that he has taken to doing a little pile of poops in the corner of his bedroom. They are too far away from the basin to have been deposited there accidently, and they are normal-looking poops.

Dare I say you *may* need to invest in a 2nd 'loo' & position this where said pile is being deposited ;)

Dare I say you *may* need to invest in a 2nd 'loo' & position this where said pile is being deposited ;)

I might try that. He moves things about in the hutch a lot, so it might be that he would now prefer his loo at the front of the bedroom rather than the back. In general, he is going through a very cheeky stage at present (spoilt only child syndrome?) so the extra pile of poops might be a part of that. :roll:

Biccy does smelly piles of poops sometimes, but only ever in the litter tray. It tends to be after a new bag of hay for some reason, like its a lot richer or something.

I might try that. He moves things about in the hutch a lot, so it might be that he would now prefer his loo at the front of the bedroom rather than the back. In general, he is going through a very cheeky stage at present (spoilt only child syndrome?) so the extra pile of poops might be a part of that. :roll:

Think about me when clearing up his additional pile of poops..... Sep & babies have THREE litter trays ATM. One large underbed storage box in the run, one large plastic dog bed in the hutch and another plastic box in the bedroom area. They still wee next to or behind all of them :roll: Kids eh?! :roll: :lol::lol:

Hi Susie ....:wave: when some certain neutered male bunnies come and stay with me, they really can do some whiffy poos. They are all perfectly formed and nothing excessive other than the 'ripe' smell!!!

As has already been said, perhaps try adding another litter tray. More work, but Spenser is worth it!!!:thumb:

Best of luck. xx

Spenser's poops are not so whiffy today, but he probably still has a higher proportion of pellets/greens to hay than many buns. Good to know it's not so unusual as I thought - thanks for replies again. :wave:

Spenser gets a fair bit of kale in his diet - could this be the cause of 'rich' poops? I know this is one of the 'bad' veggies re. calcium, but I've read spring greens are worse, and that cabbage can cause digestive problems - kale seems the lesser of three evils. :? Next year I'll be more organised re. fresh forage, but I don't really see what I can do to improve his diet at present. Although, he now accepts carrot, so it's possible other veg previously refused might be acceptable.

Spenser gets a fair bit of kale in his diet - could this be the cause of 'rich' poops? I know this is one of the 'bad' veggies re. calcium, but I've read spring greens are worse, and that cabbage can cause digestive problems - kale seems the lesser of three evils. :? Next year I'll be more organised re. fresh forage, but I don't really see what I can do to improve his diet at present. Although, he now accepts carrot, so it's possible other veg previously refused might be acceptable.

I would say it's quite likely :wave:

It is possible, diet will always affect output :)

Back