• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you kill fleas in housing ?

Washing things that are washable at a high temperature, like blankets, (sorry can't remember what temp!) and I believe you can get stuff that kills fleas depending on what type of housing you're thinking but I don't know if this is really safe for the rabbit. Sorry not really sure what else but I'd throw away things that can't be cleaned thoroughly as I wouldn't want to risk a re infection. I threw everything away and had to replace it when Beano had ear mites (similar to fleas but live in the ear) as despite thorough cleaning I just couldn't get rid of them and didn't want her to get another infection, but ear mites are different to fleas I presume.

Flea spray, but you can't let the rabbits near the spray for a while until the room has aired out entirely... Takes all day to do and then air out

Do you mean your house or the rabbits hutch/shed?

I had some old small animal flea powder that said it could be sprinkled around the hutch to kill them but it's stuff you can just buy from any shop so it's probably not that strong

Also the rabbits have to be treated too... And any large animals.

Was fun when the rabbits and cats had fleas, they kept passing them back to eachother :roll:

Thanks for the replies guys

Because Lucky lives indoors
I left his run's door open and a cat went in and pooed in it
I went to get his old litter tray out and saw grey crawlies, I assumed they were fleas from the cat.
Can a bleach solution kill them ?

There is a product called "Johnsons's Cage 'n' Hutch insect spray".
It says on the can that it kills mites, lice, fleas etc. and protects for several months against re-infestation.
I use it whenever I give the cage a completed strip-down and wash.

Back