• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny-safe string? / enclosure safety

Vita

Mama Doe
Bit of an odd one this, but it seems important for my bunnies' safety. (Or am I worrying too much?)

They have this: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Toys+%252526+Fun+Things.6/Grassy+Hideaway+%3A+Large.648.html
as their bedroom at the moment.
The panels are still basically intact, though getting thinner from chewing. Some of the panels are kept together with a very "natural" looking string, and this is also used to attach it to the cage sides.

But they have been chewing the string and the hut looks increasingly unsafe - they can topple it over when it is empty, eg by jumping down from the top of it whilst the other bunny is sitting beside it.

I asked the Hay Experts people yesterday what string they'd recommend, but they are probably very busy at the moment, or perhaps trying to find out from the manufacturer.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Would you remove the hut until you could make it more secure?
An alternative hiding space for them would be the plastic corner panel thing that came with the cage; I removed it pre-emptively to look after my Rex's hocks - though the bunnies seem to prefer sleeping in the open.

we've one which has been attacked... I leave it though - Hay experts are all about the bunny so can't imagine they'd sell an unsafe product.

Hope they answered your email xx

It's great to get a reply from someone who also has one of these! How do your bunnies like it?

Mine still use it as a hiding place and perch to survey their domain, and they like digging at its floor. I'm also quite keen on it for practicality as I can pick it up whilst they're in it and get them to climb into the carrier from it. I'd like to get them a permanent hideyhole that's a similar shape.

The Hay Experts emailed me back yesterday afternoon with a recommendation of sisal or seagrass twine. Mine show less interest in chewing seagrass toys than other materials so I'll got for that.

Last edited:
Back