• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fred's going to taste timothy hay for the first time..

MyweeFred

Warren Scout
Just ordered things from pets at home inc. timothy hay .. Hope Fred like's the new taste !! :)
Do all rabbits like all types of hay ? :?

I buy lots of different hays each month as never can work out which ones they like the most. I order anything from Oat hay, Timothy hay and Alfalfa to Orchard grass and mix it all together in a large box. They seem to like it all with no stomach upsets

My buns are very particular. I buy different types to see what they like; some types they *will not* eat, some they will eat, albeit begrudgingly. They don't even like Readigrass ~ I had read on here that buns love it, so I ordered a big bag. No interest. :roll:

For my buns, Oat Hay's where it's at! :D And interestingly ~ all three eat/refuse the same types of hay. :shock: They like long, green stems, and refuse anything short and/or yellow-looking.

No, some bunnies are very fussy, including mine. :roll: Just bought £23 of timothy hay, and they aren't taking to it. They adore Oxbow timothy hay (which is around £29 for the same amount that I just bought), so will have just bow to their wishes and get the Oxbow next time. :roll: These bunnies have expensive taste.

That is fab :D Some rabbits are very particular , one of past bunnies would only eat Timothy Hay for example but most of my mine are fine with farm bales.

Mine don't even like all types of timothy hay.

Sample bags seem like a good idea so you can find out more about what they like without spending lots. Mine have tried 5 of the 6 samples from the Hay Experts, I've ordered one from Hayforpets, and will get one from West Wales Willows at some point.
Have started keeping a list of what they do and don't like, as there's so much to keep track of.

LOVE: Oxbow Western Timothy, Oxbow Orchard Grass
LIKE: Alfalfa King Oat Wheat & Barley, Pets at Home bedding Hay, Excel Herbage [timothy hay with dandelions and marigolds], Comfey Pet bedding hay,
OK: Excel Fresh Forage, Alpine Meadow Hay, Woodlands Herby Harvest (favourite before they discovered Oxbow, now they leave some of it)
DISLIKE: Readigrass, Pets at Home Timothy Hay

Mine don't even like all types of timothy hay.

Sample bags seem like a good idea so you can find out more about what they like without spending lots. Mine have tried 5 of the 6 samples from the Hay Experts, I've ordered one from Hayforpets, and will get one from West Wales Willows at some point.
Have started keeping a list of what they do and don't like, as there's so much to keep track of.

LOVE: Oxbow Western Timothy, Oxbow Orchard Grass
LIKE: Alfalfa King Oat Wheat & Barley, Pets at Home bedding Hay, Excel Herbage [timothy hay with dandelions and marigolds], Comfey Pet bedding hay,
OK: Excel Fresh Forage, Alpine Meadow Hay, Woodlands Herby Harvest (favourite before they discovered Oxbow, now they leave some of it)
DISLIKE: Readigrass, Pets at Home Timothy Hay

I got Fred some Excel Herbage grass stuff, Excel Herbage timothy hay with the herbs and some dandelion treats.. Fingers crossed for whenever it comes!

Back