• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney Probs due to EC

MichG

Mama Doe
So my little bunny Minky went to the vets today and they think she has EC. They did a blood test and found her Phosphorus and calcium levels were really high, they did not manage to get enough blood to send for EC test so she has to go back in a week for more tests. Basically, she is in with a group of 4 other bunnies. She is on the Supreme unrinary diet but have been told no more greens and to cut calcium from her diet. What veggies can I give her?

Can she recover from this? She is on antibiotics (baytril and metronidazole) metacam and Lapizole.
I feel really rubbish for her at the moment, she is only 8 months old.

I am not sure about the Kidney issues, but i would doubt that you would get a correct reading from any EC tests now since your bun is on Lapizole. If it were me i wouldn't bother with the test and just treat for EC anyways.

Thanks Kermit, didn't think of that. The vet did say that lot of buns show positive for EC even though they never show signs and that it still might not be EC causing the kidney probs anyway, even if she is positive. That does make a lot of sense. My poor brain is fried.

Artie has EC and he has also lost a kidney due to kidney stones forming, I need to remember to ask about the findings of the histology that the vet was going to do, but I think it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that EC had damaged his kidney.

However, he is under the excellent care of Frances Harcourt-Brown (and has been for urinary tract problems for 3.5 years). Since having his kidney removed nearly 3 months ago he's been on a low calcium diet (was anyway but now even lower!) and he gets no pellets as they are much higher in calcium than greens. One of the most important parts of his treatment/diet regime is that he gets as much fluid through his system as possible to flush the remaining kidney as much as possible - therefore - little or no dry food and as much green food as possible. Even relatively high calcium green food is considered better than dry food.

There's a lot of complex maths could be involved but basically, any food with less than 1% calcium content is best. As much grass as possible is the ideal diet as has the fibre and nutrition but also the moisture they needs.

If she drinks from a bottle introduce a bowl so that she can drink as much as possible.

What are the symptoms/signs that the has kidney problems?

I am not sure she has been showing any. I had no idea she had kidney probs. I took her to the vets for an eye problem where poss ec was diagnosed so vet recommended bloods to check kidneys. She is in with 4 other buns and they normally have 2 large water bottles so have put a bowl in the shed as well.

She seems normal in herself, a bit quiet but I put that down to being ferried about to 2diff vets and being in pain with her eye.

Also I ment task, if she has developed ec in her kidney, is there a chance she could still develop a head tilt? I am stressing about her starting to roll in the night or while I am at work.

Back