• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit rolling

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
hi my rabbit has started to roll over very bad due to e.c. she is on medication(panacur,baytril,metacam and a steroid injection) but she seems to be getting worse by the hour! HELP what shall i do? the vet said she has done everything she can due to her being 13wks old, i feel that she is suffering and don't know what to do??

Is she indoors? Put her in a small area, roll up some towels round the sides of the area, these help support her.

Rabbits can get really bad with this before they get better, often it takes days to get over the very worst and weeks or months after that to get right through it, but they can get through it.

She is on all the right meds.

Is she eating / drinking / pooing / peeing / trying to get about herself?

Make sure she can't injure herself (use towels) and ring vets.

Ask them about "Stemitil", it dramatically helped my Bunicula when she developed head tilt due to inner ear infection. She would roll and it was stressing her, her partner and me out but Jacks-Jane suggested Stemitil and it helped within a few days.

yes i have brought her indoors she is on a dog bed,its strange cause when i put her in the garden she can get around but as soon as i put her in her hutch she is constantly rolling over its so destressing and i have to go to work tomorrow already had 3days off to be with her,the vet cant do any more apart from pts

Do you have an indoor cage that you could leave her in? Is she rolling in the house?

Is there anyone that could check on her tomorrow?

Do you have an indoor cage that you could leave her in? Is she rolling in the house?

Is there anyone that could check on her tomorrow?

i have her in a indoor hutch but i have put a fleece bed in for heand yes she is rolling still ,my mom will check on her but she will be alone for most of the day,do you think she can get over this its so sad she is only 13wks

i have her in a indoor hutch but i have put a fleece bed in for heand yes she is rolling still ,my mom will check on her but she will be alone for most of the day,do you think she can get over this its so sad she is only 13wks

In my opinion, if a bun is still trying their hardest to act like a bunny, eating, drinking, etc, then yes, they are trying their best to fight this. I have personal experience of a bun rolling and i know how distressing it is. Is she managing to right herself when she does roll?

Does she have head tilt?

My Kermit was young when he got head tilt, probably about 5 months, so a bit older, but still a baby. He was really bad to begin with, he couldn't even stand up without rolling, he basically lay on his side for a few days with me nursing him. Then he gradually started to get about his cage. I had to leave him when i went to work, it was not ideal, but i just packed the cage with towels and left him loads to eat and drink.

In my opinion, if a bun is still trying their hardest to act like a bunny, eating, drinking, etc, then yes, they are trying their best to fight this. I have personal experience of a bun rolling and i know how distressing it is. Is she managing to right herself when she does roll?

Does she have head tilt?

My Kermit was young when he got head tilt, probably about 5 months, so a bit older, but still a baby. He was really bad to begin with, he couldn't even stand up without rolling, he basically lay on his side for a few days with me nursing him. Then he gradually started to get about his cage. I had to leave him when i went to work, it was not ideal, but i just packed the cage with towels and left him loads to eat and drink.

yes she corrects herself for a few seconds then rolls over again as her head tilts over her body just follows it!

yes she corrects herself for a few seconds then rolls over again as her head tilts over her body just follows it!

It really is just a waiting game unfortunately, but bunnies can get through this.

Offer her food to her mouth, drinks as well, as she might be having trouble getting to food. Try not to lift her, as this will make her more dizzy.

Vibes from me for your little one x

Sorry I cannot help. My bun poss has ec too, but hasn't affected her head yet, just her kidneys and eye.

Just wanted offer mega vibes for your little one. Hope she pulls through soon xxxx

It is very distressing to see and I am sorry you and she are having to go through this.

I think you need to decide where she will be living whilst she recovers and don't keep changing her surroundings - B found being picked up very disorientating and it would set off a rolling episode.

As Rykat suggested, Stemetil is very helpful - it's a human medicine to treat vertigo. Not all vets are prepared to try it as it is not licensed for rabbits but many of us have found it helpful - they'll probably have to order it in specially. If you vet isn't prepared to try it you could ask for metacloprimide (usually used as a gut stimulant) as it also works on the same area of the brain and will help too.

As for leaving her - can anyone pop home during the day to check on her? we took turns to come home at lunch to do B's meds when she was very poorly.
If she's still eating and drinking for herself then make sure she has food and water accessible and that there isn't anything she can tangle herself in when she rolls.

What's your little bun's name? Sending lots of get well soon vibes for her.

she is named coco she is a mini lop,tiny little thing self chocolate colour gorgeous heres a pic 3wks ago before the tilt
010.jpg

Sadly don't have any advice for you here, but please know you are doing all you can.

Hope you can get someone to check in on her or possibly take some holiday? Lots of love xxx

I'm very sorry to hear that. I understand what you're going through. My 14 week old bunny has the exact same problem. By the sounds of it there isn't much more a vet can do, it's really just a waiting game. I've found rolling up fabric/towels and placing them around the sides of the cage can help stop them from hurting themselves. My bunny sometimes needs to be shown where his food/water/litter tray is, so keep an eye on how well she's eating/drinking. The other thing that's helped my bunny is turning him upside down on my lap and straightening his neck. He really seems to like it, and after awhile his muscles relax and the 'tilt' in his neck seems to get a little better. Keep a close watch on her eyes, as they can get inflamation and infection in them very easily when they're constantly rolling. The second you see any inflamation or redness go straight to the vet.
I hope this helps a little. And I wish you both the best of luck.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I understand what you're going through. My 14 week old bunny has the exact same problem. By the sounds of it there isn't much more a vet can do, it's really just a waiting game. I've found rolling up fabric/towels and placing them around the sides of the cage can help stop them from hurting themselves. My bunny sometimes needs to be shown where his food/water/litter tray is, so keep an eye on how well she's eating/drinking. The other thing that's helped my bunny is turning him upside down on my lap and straightening his neck. He really seems to like it, and after awhile his muscles relax and the 'tilt' in his neck seems to get a little better. Keep a close watch on her eyes, as they can get inflamation and infection in them very easily when they're constantly rolling. The second you see any inflamation or redness go straight to the vet.
I hope this helps a little. And I wish you both the best of luck.

its so not fair of these poor little buns they have had no life at all hope your bun gets well soon

I am really sorry Coco is ill. I can't offer any advice but I really hope she is better very soon.

Back