• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post GA advise please - jaw absess

Apache

Mama Doe
Hi,
I took Alfred to the vets yesterday as he seemed off colour - he'd eat veg and pellets, but not his hay, the vet found he had an abscess, so he had surgery and she removed the incisor, and has left a drainage hole underneath the jaw.

I've got ABx and pain relief for him, and he has to have injections every other day for 4 weeks.

My main concern is that he still isn't eating properly, he's having soaked pellets, grated carrot, brocolli etc, but won't touch his hay - is this normal?

He's still passing droppings / weeing.

Any help / comments appreciated.

Many thanks
x

It sounds like he may not be comfortable chewing tougher items - I would talk to your vet about this and whether it is an option to increase his pain relief to try and get him happier.
Marie

He'll still be in too much pain. My bun Buster had the same op a week ago and hasonly just started eating hay

Have had a couple of buns with jaw abscesses, so can understand your concern. Have to agree with what's been said in that I think he's probably still too sore and bruised where the incisor has been removed to cope with much. Flynn needed surgery in September and I had critical care (fine grind) in just in case he wouldn't eat. Fortunately he did take small amounts and this improved daily. I was given pain relief and antibiotics and basically I just tried all the foods I knew he liked to encourage him to eat again. Strong flavours like fennel, mint, corriander and parsley along with his usual hedgerow foods and he would be a bit slow, but did persevere. He wanted carrot but this was one of the last things he could manage initially, but he got there.
I'd definitely ask about increasing the pain relief if he's not picking up; getting him feeling a bit more comfortable is much more likely to encourage him to eat again. :) Good luck.

Thanks Maizy,

How long did it take your bun to get back to normal, it seems to be up and down for Alfred.

He was doing ok last night, but had to go back to the vet for his injection this morning and has been quiet since :(

Back