• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit insurance

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
mabel is insured with pet plan, and i know they won;t pay for dentals now in future

i was wondering about other insurers not for mabel but do pets at home exclude dentals too? or the one they mentioned in rabbiting on mag
exotic direct has anyone ever had a bun insured with them or are they new too like PAH?

PetPlan doesn't cover dentals now?! I've just insured my two with them... and got told on Saturday that Mango is likely to be a dental bunny.. :shock:

they never have
thanks for the article i was trying to see whome to insure sox with whether to stick with petplan or go elsewhere, it looks like petplan, again
for the lifetime cover

PetPlan doesn't cover dentals now?! I've just insured my two with them... and got told on Saturday that Mango is likely to be a dental bunny.. :shock:

T's & C's are a bit flaky.

They'll cover dentals if you have an annual dental check but only if the dental issues are due to some other problems or something like that!

It's very baffling!

I have both of mine covered with petplan, one has RTI's and dental issues and kidney issues excluded, as she became ill on day 13 of the 14 day exclusion period :( Might cancel this one, but holding off, in case something else happens to her!

T's & C's are a bit flaky.

They'll cover dentals if you have an annual dental check but only if the dental issues are due to some other problems or something like that!

It's very baffling!

I have both of mine covered with petplan, one has RTI's and dental issues and kidney issues excluded, as she became ill on day 13 of the 14 day exclusion period :( Might cancel this one, but holding off, in case something else happens to her!

Thanks Graham. I must admit, the leaflet I'd got from my vet gave the impression dentals were covered. I've got to call them this morning as they have Mango down as a Male Lionhead :roll: so I might ask for clarification.

They don't cover 'routine' dental treatments. That's burring, trimming etc. Major dental related treatments should be covered depending on preexisting conditions etc.

Well, on the form I wrote down (truthfully) that she had been to the vets for sneezing and was told that there was nothing wrogn with her, maybe an allergy and no treatment.

This visit and the following when she was prescribed baytril was footbed by pets at home.

The following visit, I have paid myself (3 weeks of baytril and more metacam)

When I joined the insurance, she had only had 1 vet visit and no illness was found despite sneezing symptoms. So wondered if would be covered now?

If not, I may well cancel it and just save £10 a month myself incase of emergency treatment

Well, on the form I wrote down (truthfully) that she had been to the vets for sneezing and was told that there was nothing wrogn with her, maybe an allergy and no treatment.

This visit and the following when she was prescribed baytril was footbed by pets at home.

When I joined the insurance, she had only had 1 vet visit and no illness was found despite sneezing symptoms. So wondered if would be covered now?

If not, I may well cancel it and just save £10 a month myself incase of emergency treatment

Thats a tricky one. If she was displaying symptoms, it's unlikely she'll be covered, however, if no illness had been diagnosed, it wouldn't then be a pre-existing condition.

Not really sure about that one. Why not phone them and ask?

Thanks for your reply Graham.

Yes, I should definitely phone them and ask, sorry I was just being a little bit lazy seeing if anyone knew!

I think if she isn't covered for this, insurance isn't really worth it as she doesn't seem to have any other problems and whilst emergencies do happen, I am already putting £10 a month away "just in case"

I would say keep your insurance.

It all depends on whether she had snuffles or not. If she was sneezing and during the the exclusion period before your insurance takes proper effect, then she will not be covered. However, if your vets state that she did not have snuffles at that point in their opinion, I would think that she would be covered. I would ask your vets first then contact Petplan.

However, you say that you feel that it will be a waste of money to keep the insurance, but that is a very short-sighted view. If you save £10 a month, it will take your a year to put together £120 and that could be wiped out with a fairly minor episode of stasis or treatment for an abscess.

I wrote the article in Hopping Mad purely because I ended up claiming over £1000 for my two rabbits and was very grateful for my insurance. I, like you, wondered whether it was worth keeping, but my goodness, was I glad of it.

I want to insure my rabbit, i dont know where to start or understand it, i know i have to pay an excess if i did claim but my friend had a house rabbit and he got his leg broke and it was going to be £600 to amputate she couldnt afford it so he was pts ( i did offer to pay for splints which was £85 but would be on going as he would probably chew it off twice a week) and she is terrible at responsibillity, i would of paid it but want to think ahead and not get in to debt (even for a short time)

Can anyone reccomend a good lifetime plan please

I want to insure my rabbit, i dont know where to start or understand it, i know i have to pay an excess if i did claim but my friend had a house rabbit and he got his leg broke and it was going to be £600 to amputate she couldnt afford it so he was pts ( i did offer to pay for splints which was £85 but would be on going as he would probably chew it off twice a week) and she is terrible at responsibillity, i would of paid it but want to think ahead and not get in to debt (even for a short time)

Can anyone reccomend a good lifetime plan please

The best is PetPlan, I would recommend that. Routine treatment like vaccinations is not covered and dental trimming/burring is also considered routine for rabbits and not covered. Other than that most illnesses should be covered . You are right you have to pay the excess which is usually £50 but you only pay that once per illness. If you keep paying the premium the rabbit can stay covered for the rest of their life. The premiums do go up a bit each year because vet's fees go up, but nothing major.

I just cancelled mine with petplan, i was paying 42.50 a month for my 3, OH said it was far too much, just got a quote from pah insurance and it looks like it will work out at about £20 a month for the three. Which makes me wonder why such a price difference? I know the lifetime cover is £1500 instead of £2000, thats the only difference i can see.

I'd be careful about cancelling as she *might* be covered. Tinks had snuffles at about a year old, she had a months worth of Baytril before it settled. I insured her about a year later and told them all that and they haven't put it down as an exclusion, in fact told me they didn't consider it an issue. In other cases might be implications with snuffles happening because of a background illness and therefore they exclude etc but they won't definitely exclude it. Also, with gut stasis, they have told me if a rabbit doesn't have an episode for X number of months then the exclusion may be lifted.

Back