• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny gets new garden - but how to get him to come in?

loothi

New Kit
Hi all,

Am moving soon to a garden flat, with grass and earthy flower beds for bunny to enjoy.

My French lop house rabbit, 4 yrs old, has enjoyed a garden before but I had the problem that he tended to go 'feral' when I let him out and I couldn't tempt him back in. He preferred to munch grass, cavort around like a wild bunny, and wouldn't even come in for commercial pellets.

I can't pick him up without causing lots of stress, so I'm trying to think of a design where he is allowed access to a small part of the garden without loads of space. I think it's too much space, and grass to eat, that makes him happy to be 'wild'.

Perhaps something that opens from the back door like a puppy pen? Ideally I'd give him full supervised access for a couple of hours a day, but I can't figure out how to get him back in, without stressful chasing etc. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

There is a shed in the garden that could be converted but I think I'd only change him to an outdoor bunny if I was pair bonding him with a warm friend to sleep next to.

Any ideas or pen photos would be great. Back door is glass sadly so no way to put in a cat flap.

--loothi

Can you get a few puppy pens and section off a large area[/QUOT

I used to have a bunny like that..

The trick is timings....make sure its a couple of hours before meal time and no later than that or he'll never come in, gets over hungry and forgets about dinner..:wave:

Your garden door is open, so he can come in to chill and graze in his litter tray, when he wants...so remembers he has a house...! Wilson crosses his legs and runs in to use the litter tray when he's busting or for a snooze. Praise him every time he comes back in the flat...

Keep the grass short..lol If its long and tempting and your bunny is greedy, he'll never come back lol....

& finally if all else fails a bunnies biggest pet hate...the water hose or a water spray....and again praise them when they come back in...x:lol:

It's possible to put a cat flap into glass.
A glazier can do this for you :)

i used to have a big garden which i sectioned a part off with puppy pens outside the door so bun could come and go as he pleased (obviously with supervision). i found that shaking the treat tin eventually made him come inside;)

All 3 of my bunnies free range on the garden and I have no problem getting them in. I go out to them, shout bed time and herd them into either their Wendy house or back inside for my house bunny. They then get a treat for coming in.

I think it would be a shame to deny your bunny access to the garden- after all going "wild" is exactly what your bunny should be doing.

Chose a word to mean "in" and use it everytime. Don't say anything else except this word and then start herding them in. When they do eventually go in repeat the word loudly and give them a treat. Mine have all recognised bed time as meaning go in and you will get a treat!

Back