• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snezzy bunny

shadow05

Mama Doe
is it normal for a rabbit to sneeze quite often cause scooters been doing it for the past month but he seems alright hes not ill or anything just snezzes alot. mostly at night :?

No, its not normal.

Could be one of a few things;

Dusty hay/environment
Respiratory Tract Infection (RTI)
Foreign Body stuck up his nose

Bottom two need veterinary attention. First one is something for you to think about

:wave:

No, its not normal.

Could be one of a few things;

Dusty hay/environment
Respiratory Tract Infection (RTI)
Foreign Body stuck up his nose

Bottom two need veterinary attention. First one is something for you to think about

:wave:

well my room does get dusty but i do clean reguarly hes been molting at lot lately too.

he did use to sneeze before but not as much as now. there doesnt seem to be any discharge and his paws are clean. as for the foriegn body bit im not sure if it is its probably hay lol its his own fault for sticking his head in the hay rack :roll:

ill keep a close eye on his for now and clean his cage a bit more. if he carries on like it for next couple of days ill take him to vets. he doesnt seem to be particulary bothered about it during the day its just at night. ive cleaned all his blankets and taken as much hair of them as possible too to see if itell help.

Has the heating gone on? Could that be bothering him? If he was sneezing before, was it previous when the heating was on? It creates a different atmosphere. Do you have your window open at all in your room?

Equally, a vet check would be smart, I think.

no but the house has become a lot more colder and every so often its warmer. but its gradually done this so he shud be use to it shudnt he ?

sometimes he can be quite bad with it but doesnt tend to last very long and its very rare and some times his nose is a bit runny but ive not seen it happen in a while and it was only slight.

during the day the house okay its not too hot or too cold and his coat is constantly shedding. i thought they only shed like 3 to 4 times a year with the seasons?

yea he was sneezing before but it was hardly noticeable hes always sneezed. but lately its more noticeable.

When Barney's snuffles acts up he doesnt get discharge from his nose, just sneezing. Weren't you going to get him vaccinated anyway soon? You could ask the vet about it at the same time as getting his vaccs done.

yea i was but i was only going to vaccinate him against vhd seen as hes never outside and i realised even with him being a house bunny vhd cud come in on anything.

but that depends on vets if there doing a deal for them both then hell get both. it seems like its going to be a while until he can be unless i get a job which im hoping is soon.

yea i was but i was only going to vaccinate him against vhd seen as hes never outside and i realised even with him being a house bunny vhd cud come in on anything.

but that depends on vets if there doing a deal for them both then hell get both. it seems like its going to be a while until he can be unless i get a job which im hoping is soon.

Not that i wanted to change the thread details, but you do realise that myxi can get into the house just as easily as it could be outside?

ive just read up on snuffles and he does get a bit of white discharge near his eye every so often. i thought snuffles had more syptoms than that i though the rabbit doesnt normally want to eat or drink ?

my bun had a respirtory infection before i adopted him and he still sneezes a fair bit. Vet said he will prob always be sneezy and it can be brought on by house dust, and also the dust in his hay. he also said not to use sawdust anywhere in his hutch and I could try wetting his hay before putting it in his hutch as this gets rid of the dust. (havent tried this tho!) However if he gets discharge around is eyes or nose he is to go straight to the vet.

Not that i wanted to change the thread details, but you do realise that myxi can get into the house just as easily as it could be outside?

no i didnt cud u explain that a bit more so that i know plz. because i though it cud only be passed by direct contact?:?

i didnt think it was something really bad at first. i did think it was just normal and that hed been sneezing more lately because his hay or something.

hes always been exceptionally healthy for a bunny never had any problems with him.

ive just read up on snuffles and he does get a bit of white discharge near his eye every so often. i thought snuffles had more syptoms than that i though the rabbit doesnt normally want to eat or drink ?

Extreme snuffles may have. Barney has always seemed well when his snuffles plays up, hes himself and eats and drinks just fine. His snuffles sometimes only presents itself with watery eyes, nothing major, just a bit of fur getting wet and then drying, like dogs have naturally. Sometimes if its a little worse it is sneezing, with or without the watery eyes. If it is worse it is sneezing fits, several sneezes in a row. He has mild chronic snuffles. He also has some permenant damage to his respitory system because at some point (before I got him) his snuffles was left untreated - so I would definately get Scooter down the vets asap if you suspect snuffles, as leaving it can do permenant damage and make it more likely for him to have problems in the future.

no i didnt cud u explain that a bit more so that i know plz. because i though it cud only be passed by direct contact?:?

Myxi is spread through fly bites and the like, so its perfectly plausible for indoor bunnies to get them -

Quote: Myxomatosis is spread by direct contact with an affected animal or by being bitten by fleas or mosquitoes that have fed on an infected rabbit. The myxomatosis virus does not replicate in these insect hosts, but can be physically carried by an insect's mouthparts, i.e. from an infected rabbit to another susceptible animal. Due to the potential of insect vector transmission, pet rabbits may be susceptible in enzootic areas and vaccination is highly recommended.[5]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

Extreme snuffles may have. Barney has always seemed well when his snuffles plays up, hes himself and eats and drinks just fine. His snuffles sometimes only presents itself with watery eyes, nothing major, just a bit of fur getting wet and then drying, like dogs have naturally. Sometimes if its a little worse it is sneezing, with or without the watery eyes. If it is worse it is sneezing fits, several sneezes in a row. He has mild chronic snuffles. He also has some permenant damage to his respitory system because at some point (before I got him) his snuffles was left untreated - so I would definately get Scooter down the vets asap if you suspect snuffles, as leaving it can do permenant damage and make it more likely for him to have problems in the future.

i think ill get him checked just in case cause he does have sneezing fits a lot. ive just been to check on his i didnt touch him or anything didnt want to distrub his nap lol and he started again :( i had a look at his eye and his nose and they seem to be alright i checked his paws just in case cause he did wipe his face.

cud his fur have anything to do it with because he does molt a lot and there is a build up around his cage. which needs hovering.

Myxi is spread through fly bites and the like, so its perfectly plausible for indoor bunnies to get them -

Quote: Myxomatosis is spread by direct contact with an affected animal or by being bitten by fleas or mosquitoes that have fed on an infected rabbit. The myxomatosis virus does not replicate in these insect hosts, but can be physically carried by an insect's mouthparts, i.e. from an infected rabbit to another susceptible animal. Due to the potential of insect vector transmission, pet rabbits may be susceptible in enzootic areas and vaccination is highly recommended.[5]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis
okay thanks i think ill get him done for that now :shock:

i think i might get a themomiter for my room to see how cold it is because im always cold in here so id hate to think how hes doing?

who showing u a pic of his home help ? it still needs work doing but im getting there its mostly just a case of money. :(

If you feel cold its probably around 18 degrees, which is fine for a bunny.

Give the room a good hoover, and if it doesnt clear up by tomorrow evening take him to the vet asap, especially as its been going on a month.

Back