• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ive booked stew in for his first check up

stews mum

New Kit
Well stew is about 7 weeks old now and ive just booked him an appointment at the vet for his first check up in 2 weeks time.
Is there anything specific i should ask about? im going to ask about vaccinations and desexing
what would you ask them to check out?

I would ask them to have a look in his mouth. He certainly shouldn't have any dental problems yet but the vet should be able to see whether his teeth are going to give him problems in the future if they don't line up properly or have odd wear.

Hope he gets on ok! Our vaccs are myxo and VHD. I am fairly certain Australia don't allow myxo, do they allow VHD? And neutering is brilliant, you are oing really well at thinking ahead for him.

Always good to get them the once over. I'm not sure what vaccs they give buns in Oz. Myxi is definitely not given over there :(

Our two girls are 17 weeks (we have only had them 9 days) and last thursday we took them for their first check up. the vet checked their teeth, listened to their hearts, felt all round their tummies, weighed them and they had their first myxi jab each. We will take them back in a couple of weeks for their VHD jabs.

He asked about their diets and have us some advice on that and that was about it :)

Opps sorry just seen that your in OZ so not sure what jabs you get for buns out there!

Check his sex, often they are sold wrongly sexed. Also, ask your vet about his experience with rabbits, as rabbits are classed as exotics and normal vets dont have to learn much about them. Check his teeth, both front and back, as already mentioned. Ask the vet about neutering to determine his experience with it, these questions are good to take along: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?84269-Vet-Questions-Neutering and check they will give you some painkillers to take home after for him. And get his first vacc done, check which brand of vhd vacc they use, if Cylap be aware there could be side effects, Lapinjet or Anivac are better, see here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/research/vaccination.asp

Its a shame you cant get him vaccinated against myxi, I hope its not too common over there. If it is you may want to keep him as an indoor bun permenantly as this reduces the risk.

All the above, plus ask about E. Cuniculi. It seems to be very common to give a treatment for this - Panacur - as a matter of course; my vets prefer to do a blood test for it to see if the medicine is necessary, so rabbits aren't subjected to unnecessary side effects.

Back