• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Lucky Updated

whitehood

Warren Veteran
After having a dental I thought Lucky's sneezing would stop - but it didn't, so I had to go to the vets again.

My vet dropped some coloured dye into both of his eyes, I think it was meant to come out of his nose, but it didn't [I'm confused is it a good thing it never came out or a bad thing it never came out?]

After that my vet prescribed Tiacil.

She suspected there could be an infection in his tear ducts, the tiacil would clear it and he would start breathing properly.

:wave:

Who else has used Tiacil and was it effective?

Vibes for Lucky from here too. Maybe you should start a thread in health to get a more experienced reply?

No advice on the Ticali but one of mine had the dye put in his eyes..
It never came out and that wasnt a good sign... His tear ducts were blocked again / infection

The dye should have come out of his nose - if it didn't it means the tear ducts are blocked.

No experience with Tiacil, but do keep on monitoring him and go back to the vet if they don't improve.

Hope Lucky gets better quickly.

Cutie-pie had that done last week as her fur sometimes gets wet around one of her eyes.

It is definately meant to come out. The colour changes from orange to green. It came out of her so it showed she was fine.

Thank you everyone !
I hope it clears up soon.

Two questions that I have:
Is the infection in the tear ducts a type of snuffles ?
Or is it just a normal type of infection that will clear when an abx is tackling it?

Thank you everyone !
I hope it clears up soon.

Two questions that I have:
Is the infection in the tear ducts a type of snuffles ?
Or is it just a normal type of infection that will clear when an abx is tackling it?

I don't know with rabbits, but my chinchilla had a really nasty tear duct infection but no snuffles. He was also discharging a large amount of pus so it had to be flushed out. With strong abx it finally cleared up.

Thanks, if it hasn't cleared up I'll book another appointment.

With my chinchilla it was more complicated as the first 4 vets were not chinnie savvy so they all admitted they didn't know what the problem was and he was obviously very poorly. It was at the exotic vets, after xrays, blood tests and sending off swabs from his eye, that found out what it was.

I think it would be easier to moniter and fix with Lucky.

My chinchillas eyes were not right for a few months with continual treatment. Now he is absolutely fine. But they didn't do that eye dye test, so maybe they are slightly different. But go back if it definately hasn't cleared.

The time to stop giving his Tiacil is today, I heard him sneeze two days ago.
I suspect the problem still hasn't resolved, will give my vet a phone call tomorrow after school.

Lucky sneezed today, after a phone call to another vet in the surgery. I should use the Tiacil again for another 5 days and monitor.
When Lucky needs his next dental under GA they could flush his nose, this could or couldn't sop him sneezing.
When I told her about the dye not coming out of his nose, she found this interesting.

I mentioned x rays and finding out about the bacteria involved if it was a case of snuffles.

I'll just have to monitor for now.

Back