• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Rabbits Tail Break?!!

BunnyMommy83

Young Bun
Well started bonding my trio last sat 22nd a pair and a single it started off so well they was grooming each other by day 2 and doing bunny flops in a pile by day 3 they looked so happy together but by day 10 today it all went horribly wrong Fudge single bun started chasing Frankie and pulling his fur out in big clumps so thought better get Frankie outta cage quick to make sure he was ok checked him over and the hair that had been pulled out was from his tail is this normal? i'm really worried now though cos it bleed a bit and looks like a bit of bone is sticking out but not too sure tried to take a photo but because Frankie's all black thats all my stupid phone picks up. So could Fudge of done serious damage to Frankies tail and broken it i'm crying writing this :cry: can't stand to think of any of em in pain. Frankies eating drinking weeing pooing ok since so think hes fine defo trip to vets 2mo though to make sure. Don't understand why this would happen after ten days proper guttered. Day one divider between them
Photo0140.jpg
Photo0141.jpg
Day two morning Frank and Fudge acting scared of each other and lil Freddie been the sweetest and dishing out kisses to all in ten minutes,
Photo0145.jpg
still day 2 put evening all curled up in one corner plenty of kisses dished out by all. Day 3
Photo0157.jpg
all flopped out together so cute and it was like this until today what happened?:(

Last edited:
If it is bone/cartilage you can see then you need to seek Veterinary attention tonight

If the injury is as serious as it sounds from your description then it may mean the tail has to be amputated. My advice would be to call a Vet now as your Rabbit is likely to be in pain and is also likely to require antibiotic cover.

Good luck.

I would think if it loks like some bone is exposed you should get him to the vets now. If it gets infected it could be nasty. Better to be safe.

Hi thanks all for your messages Frankie's been to the vets and luckily it wasn't has bad as i thought :D vet gave him two injections alamycin and metacam, she said because it's just the tip of his tail the bone should dry up and drop off, and she said it's healing good already :), so glad he's ok. They've been separated back into the pair and single until Frankie heals but don't think i'm gonna try bond them again until feb until i've got 10 days off, planning on buying them a massive shed and sleep with them in it while bonding hopefully it'll work 100% next time. Still don't know why it went so wrong this time when it was going really good any ideas? Wonder if Fudge was just trying to establish his dominance and caught Frankie too rough when he was running off.

Glad to hear all is well with Frankie.
Hope he heals up good as new very soon and better luck next time!

Back