• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are these...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Yesterday I found 2 on the ceiling and today there was one on the ceiling, one on the treat jar and one IN the treat jar.
I have thrown away the treats and cleaned the jar out, also thrown away the open food and tomorrow I am going to do a thouragh clean out in their room.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

Yesterday I found 2 on the ceiling and today there was one on the ceiling, one on the treat jar and one IN the treat jar.
I have thrown away the treats and cleaned the jar out, also thrown away the open food and tomorrow I am going to do a thouragh clean out in their room.

gross...look either like hatched catterpillars or moths?

They're maggots. Could be from anything tho.

ETA it's the warm weather. They 'could' be moth caterpillars but they do look like maggots.

:shock: OMG I am freaking out!! If they are maggots they could get to my babies bums!!
We do get a lot of moths in that room so is it more likely to be moth larvea?
Edit: We do not have flies up there and have not seen any flies up there at all, we even have a fly screen up on the window so I dont know how it could be maggots?

Last edited:
Food / meal moths - they like grain foods and dry stuff. Check bags of flour and the like. They need a very thorough clean to get rid of them (they can survive in cupboard crevices etc) after throwing out food that might be harbouring them. Then keep everything new they might like in sealed jars.

100% moth larvae, I feed them to my bearded dragon. :)
They won't really cause any harm but are a bit gross. What were the treat? There is one range which is known for getting 'extras' in it. You might get some vouchers if you complain.

Yeah, they're moth larvae. We get them here (my cockatiel seed gets them if I don't put it in the freezer) and the only damage they cause is eating holes in your clothes (when they grow up into moths that is).

They do look like the moth larvea pics thankyou!
Well after my MAJOR freak out, I have literally just finished cleaning the whole of their bedroom out and I am KNACKERED!!
I have pulled out all cuboards and hoovered behind them, cleaned inside them, thrown away anything that was open like dried herbs etc, cleanded the buns house, although I did not clean the 'fluffys' as the machine was in use but I gave them a darn good shaking out, put in clean blankeys but I did have to use the old hay - when I say old hay I dont mean old, I mean from the stash I have now thrown away and will replace tomorrow, it was not old at all, but whilst putting it in I checked for any odd bits of things.
The treats which were in the jar were Fenugreek Crunchies- they have now gone in the bin too!
Do I need to re clean again tomorrow now because I had to use the old 'possibly' contaminated hay?

100% moth larvae, I feed them to my bearded dragon. :)
They won't really cause any harm but are a bit gross. What were the treat? There is one range which is known for getting 'extras' in it. You might get some vouchers if you complain.

Is the range Naturals by chance?

No, they're really harmless, you don't need to throw anything out. I'm sure my birds and hamsters have eaten many of them before. They're just annoying because the grown version eats cloth material.

They do look like the moth larvea pics thankyou!
Well after my MAJOR freak out, I have literally just finished cleaning the whole of their bedroom out and I am KNACKERED!!
I have pulled out all cuboards and hoovered behind them, cleaned inside them, thrown away anything that was open like dried herbs etc, cleanded the buns house, although I did not clean the 'fluffys' as the machine was in use but I gave them a darn good shaking out, put in clean blankeys but I did have to use the old hay - when I say old hay I dont mean old, I mean from the stash I have now thrown away and will replace tomorrow, it was not old at all, but whilst putting it in I checked for any odd bits of things.
The treats which were in the jar were Fenugreek Crunchies- they have now gone in the bin too!
Do I need to re clean again tomorrow now because I had to use the old 'possibly' contaminated hay?
they will be feeding on dry stuff foods rather than the hay......these moth babies won't do your bunnies any harm...more for you really...who wants worms climbing over your food....euw ...so just check your food cupboards as they will be living in something there...and replace the bunnies treats, which if you then just keep in the fridge they will be fine xx

Costs too much to replace everything....x

Do I need to clean them out again today? Or have I done enough?

They'll be fine. I've just had about twelve moth larvae in my hands as I've just fed my bearded dragon. They don't cause any harm, just look yucky. :)

Back