• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

antibiotics?

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
hi

my bun has e c with bad head tilt she is on panacur and baytril are there any stronger antibiotics she can have she is only 12wks,the vet gave her a steriod injection today and said there is no more she can do if that doesnt work,i dont want to give up on her help!

i dont no much about this but im sure others will get back to you on this as their are a few owners with ec buns. Just wanted to say i hope she feels better soon:) dont loose hope on her yet as bunnies with ec can recover. sometimes they are left with a permanent head tilt but can still live happy lives.:wave:

Last edited:
As she is only 12 weeks old using other antibiotics is going to be very high risk with regards to causing her severe gastrointestinal disturbances.

How long has she been on Baytril for ?

I have a head tilt bun, who recovered very well, although he has a wonky noggin, he is the most lively of all our buns.

Blue was on Panacur, Baytril and Metacam, with lots of loving mixed in and syringe feed/water

Dont give up, I went through a really horrible patch with Blue, It was tearing my heart out, but he continued to eat and drink.

Blue stayed in his hutch, and i removed any obstacles, put a box in for him to snuggle in, water in a bowl instead of water bottle (but syringed to make sure he was getting enough)

The people on here helped me so much throughout Blue having treatment, Im sure they will help you too

As she is only 12 weeks old using other antibiotics is going to be very high risk with regards to causing her severe gastrointestinal disturbances.

How long has she been on Baytril for ?

8 days she has been on baytril but she seems to have got worse,its so frightening seeing her keep rolling over but she still has her appetite

Have you had a culture and sensitivity test done, to check which antibiotics should work for it?
NB: The test could be expensive, but maybe you have insurance that will cover it.

Here is an article which mentions some antibiotics that have been used for it: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html
but it doesn't mention anything about their safety in younger rabbits.

Also, as she is on antibiotics already, have you been given probiotics for her to try and minimise the likelihood of gut disturbances?

My bun got much worse before he got better,
It was heart breaking to watch, just persevere.

What dose was he on?

Blue was only arouns 10-12weeks old when he was showing signs.

Back