• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb as Flooring

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
:wave:

As many people know, Molly has sore hocks. They are under control right now. She is bedded on thick hay everywhere, in the hutch and run. However, hay is very rough and coarse and even when I stand on it barefoot, it hurts my feet, so I'm wondering whether to change the flooring to provide more comfort and hopefully cut down the amount of veterinary visits and infections she has.

I have used Megazorb underneath the hay in the hutch for ages now, and used it as litter for a long while and I'm very happy with it. Its so soft and her feet and toes sink right in, which is exactly what I want and need as flooring. I'm thinking of taking all the hay out from the run and putting a 5cm layer of Megazorb on the floor, over foam matting. And providing hay in a pile and in the litter trays.

My run is 7ft x 5ft so would take a bag or two to set it up, but it would keep the run cleaner and would be softer for Molly. Do you think this is a good idea? Has anyone else done this?

not done it, but it sounds like a good idea!!! I agree it must be softer than hay. what about shredded newspaper? is that still too hard/ crunchy?? (again I know you'd need loads.)

not done it, but it sounds like a good idea!!! I agree it must be softer than hay. what about shredded newspaper? is that still too hard/ crunchy?? (again I know you'd need loads.)

I think shredded paper would probably be the same as hay. Also they could get their legs tangled in it I think.

My rabbit Otis has sore hocks and we bought foam mats (the sort you get for kids to play on) from Ebay. They have lasted a couple of months in all weathers and still look fine. **Touch wood**, Otis has not had any probelms since we bought the mats.

I use megazrob in my litter trays and think it is great. It may cost you a fortune to keep changing the megazorb in a run though.

My rabbit Otis has sore hocks and we bought foam mats (the sort you get for kids to play on) from Ebay. They have lasted a couple of months in all weathers and still look fine. **Touch wood**, Otis has not had any probelms since we bought the mats.

I use megazrob in my litter trays and think it is great. It may cost you a fortune to keep changing the megazorb in a run though.

we've tried foam mats and vetbed and both caused problems for her. I still use foam mats underneath the hay in the run because she doesn't have contact with them, however it stops rainwater rising up and soaking the hay, and should also stop water soaking the megazorb, which should prevent too many clean-outs.

Back