• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed: quality or cheaper product?

Daniel

Alpha Buck
I've posted my hutch here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?316526-Hutch-Progress-so-far
And I’m back again asking about the price, the hutches, sheds and playhouses i'm going to build are designed as panels to make it easier to transport, easier to assemble and easier to move if needed.

But the problem comes with the price as this style of construction uses more timber and other materials. That increases the price and the time to build the products but it gives you a long lasting and quality product. Something similar to the above but 6ft long without the extra options, lining, lino, shutters, etc and with shed felt would cost around £400 (Roofing Shingles £435).

I’ve tried bringing down the costs but the only way I’ve found to do that is to make smaller than the recommended sizes which I do not wish to do. Or build them with weaker timber and to a style you all see currently available at pet shops but again that is not what I wish to do.

I’m looking for advice on which way to go for. Do you think the price will be worth it?
Or should i go back to the drawing board and start fresh to get a lower price even if that means not a long lasting or quality product?

Hi Daniel :wave:

You'll regret poor quality. My very nice father-in-law built a hutch for my buns at the beginning of the year to save us some money. I was absolutely thrilled, but after 6 months I can already tell I'm going to need a new one come spring (or maybe before that, even). You're putting so much work in, so of course you want it to last as long as possible. And not underestimate a bunnie's interest in chewing! A weak hutch will soon get damaged. :roll:

Maybe go back to the drawingboard to re-think your choices?

I would sit down and plan out exactly how much everything costs you and exactly how much time it takes, then see where you could cut costs while still maintaining a good quality standard.
For instance, I would assume a pent roof would cost a wee bit less and be a lot less effort, and some people (including myself) actually prefer a pent roof.

You could also get in touch with your suppliers and see if you could get any bulk discounts or if they do a trade card or membership that would give you some discount.

personally I couldn't ever justify £400 on a hutch. I think it's good to buy things that will last a life time if you want them for a lifetime, but in the 2 years I've had my rabbits I've changed their housing 4 times and totally see myself changing it again when I have more money and space.
I assume runs would cost less than hutches as mesh is less than good quality wood, so would it be better value to offer hutch/run combos?

Last edited:
Do you need 3 large hinges per door? i know it looks good, but cutting a few small things makes for bigger savings over all, Plus I personally would like the center door to be mesh as well (my bunnies use the hidey areas as a toilet room, and much prefer to sit by the mesh.) I agree with the pent roof too, I also stack my hutches, so flat and pent roofs work better for me.

have to say though I do adore the hutch you built, it's gorgeous.

I’m out of ideas, changing a view things will bring the cost down but may impact on the overall product. Two hinges will work but maybe within 10 years the doors will jam and that’s why three hinges are used, every door inside or outside should have three hinges. If adding a run on that would increase the cost too.

Have to start fresh I think and try and work out a way to bring the costs down but not sure how too if I want to keep a quality and recommended size housing. Not a easy task when timber cost so much :evil:

Back