• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Congenital health problems in domestic rabbit breeds

JayUK

Mama Doe
Hi,
Myself and Anne McBride recently published this article re: Congenital health problems in domestic rabbit breeds http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/congenitaldiseases.htm

As this is an obvious welfare issue, we are trying to get the article 'out there', and would be grateful if any of you find it is of interest to you, that you put it on your social media pages etc.

There is a simple web poll at the bottom of the article too.

Many thanks :wave:

Jay! :shock: :wave:

I've just seen this on Facebook, will have a good read at it later. It looks great, and very comprehensive - you've been busy bunnies!

I agree its a very good read. Ive not long discovered that my bun (a dwarf lop) is a dental bun, its likely that he will have to be pts because of his inherited teeth problems in the future and he's not long had major surgery because of it. Had i realised that dwarfs had these sort of issues i probably would have thought twice before i got him, however i love him very much and wouldnt change him for the world (apart from the teeth!)

Very good article, but I would like to say that the sore hocks picture is of my rabbit, Molly. That picture was taken when she was 6 months old, and she is now 4 years old and still going strong. Her environment is clean and she is bedded on soft hay. She also has very regular vet visits to check her condition, and any treatment she needs, she gets.

I just wanted to state that, so that people are aware that she isn't a neglected rabbit and she is coping fine with the condition and she is a happy rabbit. :)

Very good article, but I would like to say that the sore hocks picture is of my rabbit, Molly. That picture was taken when she was 6 months old, and she is now 4 years old and still going strong. Her environment is clean and she is bedded on soft hay. She also has very regular vet visits to check her condition, and any treatment she needs, she gets.

I just wanted to state that, so that people are aware that she isn't a neglected rabbit and she is coping fine with the condition and she is a happy rabbit. :)

Thanks, and I'm really glad that Molly has fully recovered :)
I used the picture because it was on HH and I think demonstrates, quite shockingly, how sore sore hocks can be. There was no intended implication that the rabbit did not recover or wasn't cared for, and I hope you didn't feel that. As there was no mention of it being your rabbit, I also trust that this connection was not made.

We are doing a health feature on sore hocks for the next edition, would you like to particpate?

Thanks, and I'm really glad that Molly has fully recovered :)
I used the picture because it was on HH and I think demonstrates, quite shockingly, how sore sore hocks can be. There was no intended implication that the rabbit did not recover or wasn't cared for, and I hope you didn't feel that. As there was no mention of it being your rabbit, I also trust that this connection was not made.

We are doing a health feature on sore hocks for the next edition, would you like to particpate?

thank you. no, I didn't feel that it was implied but they were pretty bad when she was young and it is quite a shocking picture.

I would be very happy to participate in the feature on sore hocks. :)

having just read the article, I'm now wondering if the fact that Pebbles is a lop eared is the cause of the problems with Bugsy - maybe them being down makes him look aggressive to uppy eared bunnies?? maybe I should try lifting his ears up and pinting them forward so it looks as though he is interested in Bugsy :lol:

But seriously though, it is something that does interfere with their lives more than we think - I hadn't realised that maybe he can't hear as well as uppy eared buns.

I agree its a very good read. Ive not long discovered that my bun (a dwarf lop) is a dental bun, its likely that he will have to be pts because of his inherited teeth problems in the future and he's not long had major surgery because of it. Had i realised that dwarfs had these sort of issues i probably would have thought twice before i got him, however i love him very much and wouldnt change him for the world (apart from the teeth!)

This is the main point we tried to raise, I hope successfully, that owners and rabbits can end up with a potentially traumatic and expensive experience, simply for choosing a rabbit that appeals aesthetically - I don't think this is fair on either owner, or bun.

It doesn't change how much we love them, as they are already here, but I do question whether they should be promoted as pet rabbits, given the probelms they face.

Thanks to anyone who's done the poll, we've had a substantial response so far :thumb:

Excellent article! I wouldn't have a problem with certain breeds disappearing for good. Health is more important than size and fur quality.

(And hi Jay :wave: )

Some of these aren't nearly well known enough.

When I was a kid - in the 80s - I'd read in a book that Netherland Dwarfs have problems with their teeth and are often nervous, and I saw this repeated in plenty of other places over the years. Though they're soooo cute, this put me off getting one.

I knew very little about Rexes until after I got Ada and prior to that I just remembered Wikipedia stating: "the Rex tends to be a hardy breed with few health issues."* I hadn't specifically planned to get a Rex and so hadn't researched them more; I met Ada in the shop and she was so beautiful and happy to be stroked, so I chose her. Now I'm constantly worrying about her feet and I try to look at them every day. They are fine so far, but she has been ill in other ways.

*It does state lower down the article that they shouldn't be housed on wire as it harms their feet, and need wood or mats, but I'm not sure this goes far enough given what you hear of rexes having problems on so many surfaces.

Last edited:
Back