• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking under chin

Vita

Mama Doe
Beatrix looks as if she has a little bit of fur missing from one of the crevices under her chin (sorry I don't have the proper terms yet). I want to look at it more closely and to wipe the area, but she won't let me. I'm pretty sure that Ada just pulled it out when they were trying to snatch food from one another, but I'd like to be sure its nothing serouis.

I tried holding food up so she would stand, but she wasn't having any of this chin-wiping business and she pulled her head right in.
What can I do?

My bun hates an examination, but when nails need clipping or I need to properly inspect him, I pick him up swiftly in a towel, gently flip him over and contain him between my legs as I sit on the sofa. He sort of gives up and lets me poke around while he's on his back. If I had another bun I really would try to handle him/her more when young as it can be a real struggle when they've grown.

Anyway, yes, when you've had a look, however you manage to get in there, if it's right under the little bunny chin, it might be from dribbling which can be caused by teeth problems. If it looks at all sore or crusty I'd take her to the vet. If it's not near the mouth and chin, I'd guess that may be from rough play with Ada - but as ever - check with your vet if unsure.

Good luck!

I flipped them both over to examine them last night because there had been a fly in the house (and I'll be doing the same again today, though the fly has disappeared). But if I try to look under her chin and clean it she curls her head in so I can't.

They try and pull food out of each other's mouths sometimes, even hay, so I'm pretty sure it's from that. But I want to be sure she doesn't have any broken skin. They're lovely animals and have already had too much illness for ones so young (probably about 12 weeks).

They have had their teeth looked at by 4 different vets in the past 3 weeks, and all said they are fine. So I'm pretty confident there are no tooth problems.

As they sound eager for food have you tried holding food up & getting them to stretch for it? I do this sometimes to check noses and chins, you have to be quick but you can get a peak!!

Back