• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt. Tips on managing please.

DDD

Mama Doe
Previous threads I mentioned that Desmond has been poorly with being wobbly, possible ear infection or EC. He had antibiotics for ear infection, and still on panacur for possible EC. He is well within himself but I am worried about long term head tilt. His head is on its side. He lives in a shed with attached run with his brother. He doesn't attempt to go upstairs in the shed, and doesn't really hop anymore, he is keeping himself close to the ground.
Just wanted advice really on his environment etc. He has everything he needs downstairs, litter tray, toys, food, water etc, and access to the run. I am having to put newspaper down over the whole shed as he isn't so good at weeing in his litter tray now. He seems happy, but I am worried about him hurting himself. I don't think he can see too well.

Can he get out into the run OK?

Maybe roll up some towels to use as boulsters around the edges of the shed to prevent him banging into the sides? Maybe a shallower sided litter tray?

His head may yet return to normal, or atleast improve, but if it doesnt you will probably notice him adapting fairly well to his new wobbly world over time :)

Can he get out into the run OK?

Maybe roll up some towels to use as boulsters around the edges of the shed to prevent him banging into the sides? Maybe a shallower sided litter tray?

His head may yet return to normal, or atleast improve, but if it doesnt you will probably notice him adapting fairly well to his new wobbly world over time :)

He's not running into things, he is very careful. he can get into the run very well. He is itching to get out there in the mornings! I have given him a shallower litter tray, but still not very shallow so will get another tomorrow. I hope his head gets better, but I'm sure it worries me more than it does him!

Definatly, Im sure head tilt is sometimes harder on the owner than it is on the bun. Theyre so brave :love:

Maybe PM Bunnyaddict (Denise) for some tips. Her bun Wilson had head tilt that never righted itself, its quite severe but he manages very well :D really hope he learns to live well with it xxx

It sounds like he's managing really well and as you already have a flat set up. In time he might start trying to use the shelf/levels again - about 1 yeat after Brownie's head tilt started she decided shelves were possible again (whilst boarding at RNGP with Tracey, and so surprising them and us!) despite her head still being very wonky.

I personally would move him in doors, or to a smaller cage were there are less objects that they have to monuver around/over. If they get really disorientated they can end up falling over things and hurting themselves. If you're bunny is manging to get around okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if they start to roll or their eyes start flicking I would definately try and organise a simple and safe cage set up. :)

I personally would move him in doors, or to a smaller cage were there are less objects that they have to monuver around/over. If they get really disorientated they can end up falling over things and hurting themselves. If you're bunny is manging to get around okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if they start to roll or their eyes start flicking I would definately try and organise a simple and safe cage set up. :)

I disagree. In my opinion, if he is managing to get himself about his usual accommodation then he is better where he recognises. A change of scenery can set off severe rolling episodes, i know this from personal experience.

My Kermit was left with severe head tilt, he basically was always at ground level after that, but he coped very well.

I disagree. In my opinion, if he is managing to get himself about his usual accommodation then he is better where he recognises. A change of scenery can set off severe rolling episodes, i know this from personal experience.

My Kermit was left with severe head tilt, he basically was always at ground level after that, but he coped very well.

I think you missed my point. I said if the rabbit's manging, then it should be fine. However in my experience, it was very beneficial for my bunny to have his cage changed. He had difficulty hopping, and moving from his water bowl/food area to his littertray. And due to his serious disorientation there was a real risk of him causing himself injury from tripping and falling. All I did was blocking off part of his cage, so it wasn't as huge, and making sure everything was in easy reach, without him tripping over. I actually found by watching him where things should go. He has difficulty seeing things on his left side, so everything in his cage is orientated to compensate for that.

Back