• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needy bunny and gf. UD Becky86 to the rescue... hopefully :)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
One of our buns at the RSPCA has developed an abscess on his lip from some sort of injury. The RSPCA is unsure if they will be able to fund his treatment (and, aside from that, the vet they use is not the best rabbit vet around- in my opinion) but they also don't know whether it is feasible for them to give him the correct care, or even if care will work because they worry about him ingesting whatever they are thinking of putting on the wound.

This bunny has had, quite simply, a horrific life. I can't explain publicly, but I can explain more privately if someone is genuinely interested. He really, really deserves his forever home- somewhere he can go from the Centre, with his wife, where they can both live out their days.

If you're interested, please, please do drop me a PM. I have a strong vested interested in this one which I can also explain privately and I so desperately want him to have everything he deserves from life. He's been waiting for it for so long.

Alternatively, would anyone be willing to fund his treatment (specifically with my vets, not their vets) over seen by me, but this could only happen if I could find him foster care, I think.

Last edited:
Could we do a fundraiser to pay for treatment? I wish I could help offer a home but I have too many poorly buns :(

Am I right in thinking he would remain the "property" of the RSPCA so if any sanctuary or similar took them on they would need to fill in adoption papers and they could not be rehomed to a "normal" family if he was able to be successfully treated?

I really hope a solution is found for him :)

I'm posting from my phone so apologies in advance.

Bunny is in Ipswich. He is four wifey is about thee same.

If someone adopted them they would bee theirs but if they couldn't keep them they would have to come back to us at this RSPCA branch.

I'm posting from my phone so apologies in advance.

Bunny is in Ipswich. He is four wifey is about thee same.

If someone adopted them they would bee theirs but if they couldn't keep them they would have to come back to us at this RSPCA branch.

This is what I meant - they have to adopted and returned if necessary, they can't be taken on by a sanctuary and rehomed if they make a full recovery, as an abscess from an injury should be very treatable:)

Glad it covered what you were asking. I wasn't sure I was answering right.

I'm very disappointed this was not picked up when it was just a wound.

I understand a sanctuary not wanting to take them on because of the constraints. I wish I could have them here because then I would know he was getting the right care.

This boy is so fated to suffer it breaks my heart. M so glad he has his wife because they made each other so happy

Would the RSPCA expect an adoption fee? surely if a sanctuary took them and got them better and they were rehomable then they are doing the job for RSPCA aren't they?

They have waived fees before in special circumstances.

However, I don't know if they would be comfortable with someone else rehoming the rabbits. I know I wouldn't, unless under very special circumstances, but it's not anything to do with me.

I actually thought of you when I was writing this post, but the funding is one of the things they are struggling with (they are seriously in the financial mire -however that may be spelt-), and then how would it work long term because the only way they offer a foster is while they look for an adopter, and in those circumstances we've only ever fostered close by.

I really hope this pair can be help. It is such a difficult situation as obviously he is with the RSPCA which have a set way of doing things inc adoption forms with set rules and home checks etc It would be great if the money could be raised to help him but if it is donated to the branch would they guarantee it would go towards his treatment or would they think there was more "worthwhile" things it could go towards :?

Well done Skyo for highlighting this pair and trying your best by them in not easy circumstances :love:

I really hope this pair can be help. It is such a difficult situation as obviously he is with the RSPCA which have a set way of doing things inc adoption forms with set rules and home checks etc It would be great if the money could be raised to help him but if it is donated to the branch would they guarantee it would go towards his treatment or would they think there was more "worthwhile" things it could go towards :?

Well done Skyo for highlighting this pair and trying your best by them in not easy circumstances :love:

Skyo...we could look at aiming to get these two adopted when he is better? Maybe speak to them about it and find out what costs are exactly involved and what treatment is needed... I presume what he has isn't contagious?

Before a fundraiser was implemented I would want to talk with the Committee to take over the vet aspect of his care (but not the day to day care), but my plan would be that I would take him to see my vet and the money from the fundraiser could be paid straight onto the RSPCA account I have at the vets. I wouldn't let anybodies money go awry for something else. :)

Skyo...we could look at aiming to get these two adopted when he is better? Maybe speak to them about it and find out what costs are exactly involved and what treatment is needed... I presume what he has isn't contagious?

Sadly, they won't know this because their vet is less than wonderful, and they won't know for sure. Abscesses are tricky things even for a good vet and long term antibios and suchlike could be a possibility, plus pain relief.

I've been told he has an abscess, so therefore not contagious. BUT, I am going to go down and see for myself ASAP.

Sadly, they won't know this because their vet is less than wonderful, and they won't know for sure. Abscesses are tricky things even for a good vet and long term antibios and suchlike could be a possibility, plus pain relief.

I've been told he has an abscess, so therefore not contagious. BUT, I am going to go down and see for myself ASAP.
ok hon...pm if you need to :?

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be obstructive :( I'm so desperate to solve this for this little chap. If I could think of someone in the local area who could foster that would be a good start (the reason I say local area is that I can then oversee his care, etc). I'd love, love, LOVE to have them here.

I'm just having to work within their rules. I'm very sorry.

Back