• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range housing solutions / Hay Control!

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I love my girls, I do, but they make SUCH A MESS with the hay!!!

They currently have a hay cube like the one on the link below,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGE-RABBI...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item45ed55b1cd

It's fantastic at keeing the hay in one place - their litter tray. Until they start throwing it around the house. It gets all over the place.

So I'm now looking for an 'indoor' litter tray for them. Probably something with a roof, where I can put the hay cube in but they can't get it out as easily. Of course they both need to be able to fit in as well!!

I don't want to have to restrict their space and have no intention of doing so, but I just need to keep the hay mess down as I feel that all I do is sweep up after them :lol:

I like this,

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/cat_dens/cat_dens/233512

Anyone got any ideas on sizing there? (My girls are very small by the way, lion lops, but not big ones :)

Bungle has a litter tray with a roof on to try and stop him dragging hay everywhere. However being a cashmere the hay sticks to his fur so it still goes everywhere!

I have a Henry Hoover and just suck up all the loose bits every day.

Bungle has a litter tray with a roof on to try and stop him dragging hay everywhere. However being a cashmere the hay sticks to his fur so it still goes everywhere!

I have a Henry Hoover and just suck up all the loose bits every day.

Bailey is really fluffy as well, she makes a mess with hay which is why I got the cube, so not as much stuck to her.

Where did you get the litter tray from? Do you have a link?

They don't have a cage, just plastic base. Its very big waste of space do wanted something they can hide in etc

Bungle doesnt have a cage either. He has the cupboard (we never close the door on him) with his litter tray and water bowl in and then free range of the kitchen.

Ours have one of these litter trays:
http://www.petbrands.com/Products/Corner-Litter-Tray-With-Hood-Translucent_CLT5-205.aspx

They are both nethies, around 1 kg and 2 kg, and they fit in comfortably together. There's an 'oval' version that would be better for bigger rabbits though.

100_0748.jpg

Last edited:
Mine have a big underbed storage tray for their litter tray and then I have a little plastic basket with a brick in (to stop them chucking it around and tipping it all over!) and then hay in there. It works really well. Mine used to use a hay cube but I had the same problem. Mine eat their hay really well from there. Might be worth a try, especially since they can't chuck it around. They do sometimes dig it out but it just goes into the tray so it's not a problem :) Not really the advice you were asking for but worth a mention!

I love that.. that's just what I have been looking for for a winter bed for my hutch buns. They have a med pet bed for upstairs litter and hay /bed and I want something a little more enclosed to help with warmth in winter, but as they wee and poo in there I can't go for a fleece/padded pet cube thing as it will get weed in. I like this could wrap it in blankets etc.
I can't use a carrier as the hole is at the wrong end, I need it at the side for the access to the rest of their house.... hooray thank you!!!

esupi, that's fab! I will definately look into one of those!

Mine have a big underbed storage tray for their litter tray and then I have a little plastic basket with a brick in (to stop them chucking it around and tipping it all over!) and then hay in there. It works really well. Mine used to use a hay cube but I had the same problem. Mine eat their hay really well from there. Might be worth a try, especially since they can't chuck it around. They do sometimes dig it out but it just goes into the tray so it's not a problem :) Not really the advice you were asking for but worth a mention!

That's a great idea with the brick! I would have never thought of that! Is it a big bucket, or one like a seaside bucket? They currently have an underbed storage box as a litter tray so just need a bucket.

(Just had a mental image of using the bucket I use for water clean the buns out - it's huge! I guess you mean a seaside bucket :lol: )

:) glad you like it.
They do sometimes throw hay out of the hole when they're in a strop, but it doesn't go too far so easy to keep tidy.

Back