• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG.. Splinter in Pajamas shoulder. Help Help Help!

loubylou34

Warren Scout
Hi, I picked PJ up today to give him a stroke to help reduce his matting, and I noticed a small hard bit on his shoulder so brought him in for hubbie to look at.
he was fine, but there is something stuck in his skin (looks like a thick splinter..where he got that from I don't know! might be after their naughty fight!!!) it is firmly bedded hubbie did see if it would come out so we decided to leave it alone. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all but there is a tiny bit of blood around the wound.
What should I do? It's a bloody Sunday, he seems fine, eating etc. Should I put some TCP on it to help keep it clean (ish) I am guessing I should not try to get it out, the vet must do that to make sure it all gets out and is clean etc.
Should I get the emergency vet out? I will if I need to but I don't have pet insurance (thought I would just put cash aside which I have been but obviously only had them 2 months.)
Can it wait and I wil just take him first thing in the morning when they open?
Do I need to take Socks too to keep him calm or wil lthey be ok to be separated for an hour or 2? (I really don't know about this and bonds etc.)

Help help help!!!!!!

If it's definitely a splinter, I'd probably remove it with tweezers. If you can't do that, then it should be okay to wait until first thing Monday.

It really does look like wood, but it is a good couple of MM thick.. quite big and sticking right out.. it does look like it would be taken out with tweezers, but I worry it would hurt him, and then if I do it should I antiseptic the wound???

I would not put TCP on it, that would sting like hell

Can you post a picture of the splinter ?

If it is a large piece of wood it would have taken some force for it to pierce the skin, so he may have other injuries too. Really without being able to see it for myself I think the best advice I can give is to get him to a Vet

Good luck.

you need to take him to a vet and yes take Socks too
Pets at home companion care at Fosse park are open on Sundays ..ring them and say you need to see a vet today 2639930
do not treat with TCP
have left message on your phone Lucy as tried to ring to give this number..hope you are out at the vets x

Last edited:
Hi guys,#
Well after what feels like a very stressful afternoon, We took him to the vets at PAH, (after name dropping honeybunnies they fitted me in LOL Sacred much??) and it is a huge scab!!! obviously a result of the fight. Good grief, they were fighting for less than 30 secs I'd say, I can't get over it!

The vet trimmed the scab as he agreed it was sticking out alot he did check him over all down his body etc. (didn't seem to understand why we took Socks along too, but I didn't care they seemed fine in the car and I am sure that was because they were together. And as Jill said to me, if they had a quarrel they need to be kept together.

Thanks all so much for your help and I did feel daft, (especially as Jill asked if it was a scab).. it was just so big and white and sticky out!
but I guess you live and learn, £10 out of 'The fund' but I am pleased, best possible outcome.

Again, the support and help on this forum is great, I am so grateful to be able to ask here.

Me and my 2 buns say :love:.

xxxxx

glad it was a scab..lets hope they don't have another fight but if they do check both all over..if worried give me a shout
which vet did you see.with beard and glasses or without?:lol:

Back