• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Run :3

RabbitSammy

Warren Scout
So, today I went to the local pet shop to buy a run, however they didn't have any so I ended up buying a large dog cage, it has no floor on it, all just bars.. if that makes sense. Anyway, Snowy has been out in it for 2 hours now and she is loving it, she's washed in it, eaten in it and slept in it, so i take it thats a good sign..

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I am looking after Snowy more and i am enriching her life :3

Thats great. Does it have a secure lid or is it the puppy pen type? If the pen type please dont leave her unsupervised

It has a secure gate/door which has 2 locks on it, she is definitely not getting out by herself. I've given her some water, a hideout and some food and shelter although she has the grass. The bars are thick but not huge gaps inbetween so nothing can get in or out :)

It has a secure gate/door which has 2 locks on it, she is definitely not getting out by herself. I've given her some water, a hideout and some food and shelter although she has the grass. The bars are thick but not huge gaps inbetween so nothing can get in or out :)

That's fab, but does it have a lid? :)

No it doesn't. If I understand what you mean correctly, she goes in through the door on the side and not through the roof. :lol:

No it doesn't. If I understand what you mean correctly, she goes in through the door on the side and not through the roof. :lol:

Predators, especially birds can easily get in to a run that doesn't have a lid. You'd also be surprised at how high rabbits can jump. My Cupcake had never really jumped before and then one day she jumped four and a half feet in the air up on to my windowsill... she also finds it really easy to jump out of the metal puppy pens once she gets bored. If you're sat outside watching her when she's in the pen then that's fine, but it probably would be a good idea to try and cover the top with something:)

I use X-large 4' metal dog crates without the trays in as mobile runs. Join 2 together and you have a completely secure 8' x 4' run which can be padlocked for all round (I had 2 rabbits stolen from standard runs so a bit paranoid). The mesh on the bottom allows grass through without being a hazard to bunny feet. It also stops them digging out. Add a shelf half way up at one end and a tunnel / cat shelter and you have a decent run for everyday use. Tarpaulin or a corrugated roof panel (eg Corrolux) on the top give shelter from rain and sun.

Dog crates this size on eBay are about £40.

Back