• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

honey has a runny nose:(

lucy24

Mama Doe
last night i gave her a carrot and as she was eating she kept making a rattling noise-like we get with chest infections-shes been snezzing a little since-mainly during the night.i looked at her nose this morning and its crusty with a bit of discharge.:(shes acting normal and running around but im so worried.what could it be-snuffles? shes meant to be neutered sometime this month but if shes ill i'll wait. can snuffles be passed to my other bun?

Sounds like snuffles though I'm not a vet. She'll need to see the vet. I know it sounds a bit yuck but can you wipe away the 'snot' from her nose? Bunnies are nose breathers so a blocked nose isn't good. If it stresses her leave it as this may affect her breathing too.

With my bunnies I pop them in the bathroom when I'm running a bath or shower as the steam helps their breathing alot.

Is she eating OK and drinking?

It can be passed on but it isn't always. Presumably your bunnies aren't together at the moment anyway prior to neutering? Just good hygeine needs to be used at all times, wash hands after handling each, ensure water/food bowels cleaned thoroughly etc. Generally with snuffles most bunnies have it lying dormant in them anyway. Milly's recently had a terrible upper respiratory infection and Rupert didn't get it. If there is any sign at all in your other bunny take him to the vets too as I've had both mine on antibiotics before.

Keep her warm, try not to have her race around if her breathings a bit difficult and ensure she's eating and toiletting OK. Get her to the vets and I imagine they'll do antibiotics. I use something called 'bisolven' too. this helps clear the mucus-either can be put in water or syringed with a bit of apple juice according to vets instructions. I find this helps alot. I hope all is better soon.

thanks yeah shes eating fine and drinking normally. the discharge isnt really that thick and i had a look and it seems fairly clear.i will take her to the vet though.
thank you :) im worried it was my fault as i decided to bring the buns in for the winter.ive kept it cool in my room but im feeling so guilty if it is that thats caused it.i'll see what the vet says.:)

right so vet said her temp is normal and so does her chest etc... but shes given me some baytril just in case as their is a clear discharge. hopefully it will help.

no she didnt but i was told if it still doesnt clear with baytril in 5 days then bring her back in as well. then i will ask-thanks i hadnt thought of that so will keep it in mind. she hated me given it to her though:( but gave her banana after:D

hmm just looked at your thread and it sounds similar:(-im glad your bun is doing better by the way.

hmm just looked at your thread and it sounds similar:(-im glad your bun is doing better by the way.

Thank you :)

If i hadnt been inspecting Busters runny nose i would never have found the lump on his jaw. It might be completely unrelated and she might just have snuffles as you say but its always worth a look. I didnt know that runny noses where related to dental problems until Jane and the others suggested it. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and its nothing more than a runny nose!

Vibes for your bun.

Mine has is on day 7 of 10 on a course of baytril for exactly the same thing. She is having 0.5ml twice a day and she hates it but is SO much better.

Was pretty much constant sneezing which sounded really horrid *(like quacking) and runny nose. Her chest and temperature was fine, now just maybe 6 sneezes in an evening and no more runny nose.

Really hope your bun responds well to treatment.

Lots of love xx

thanks Fayelou :wave: glad your bun is improving-poor honey had to have a thermometer up her backside-she was so good bless her-nowonder she went and hid when i first got her home.

Back