• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

steriod injection

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
hi

my bun got a head tilt around 11 days ago, my vet put her on a 28day course of panacur along with baytril and metacam.
To cut a long story short she has not showed any signs of getting better i know it can take a while.

Anyway i got a phone call today from my vet :shock: she was at the rabbit welfare confrence and was discussing my bun with other vets etc... and wants her back in first thing monday morning to give her a steroid injection??

has anyone got any experience with steroid injections for head tilt ?

whats it treat E.C or ear infection?

is it safe?

any side effects?

cheers

I have had a head tilt bun. Yes, it can take a while to show any improvement.

A steroid injection won't be given along side Metacam. Most times Steroid Injections are given straight away, when you first take the bun to the vets. I can't say how effective it will be now, I really don't know.

Hope someone more knowledgeable can come along.

There are a few buns on here that have had steroid injections and they are pretty safe, the only query i have is the effectiveness of the steroids now.

I personally would not allow a rabbit of mine to have a steroid injection for head tilt. Whatever you believe the cause is, both are things that batter the immune system, and giving a steroid injection makes the imune system weaker and the bunny more vulnerable, so I personally would think it would be asking for trouble.

I have had a bunny on very long term steroids, but I would only ever use it as last chance saloon type treatment.

Also, this was recently posted on another rabbit forum I vaguely look at

This a from a lab paper called Therapeutic Contraindications in Exotic Pets. This is just a short excerpt.

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ysaep/article/S1055-937X(03)00056-2/abstract

Karen L Rosenthal, DVM, MS, Dip.ABVP

Abstract

Therapeutic drugs legally available for human use have gone through exhaustive pharacodynamic testing and clinical drug trials. Far fewer drugs have been evaluated for common companion animals such as dogs and cats, and practically none have been rigorously evaluated for the exotic patient. Much of our information on dosing, efficacy, and adverse reactions is anecdotal or based on extrapolation from other species. Very little information exists on drug-to-drug interaction in vivo. However, a few recognized therapeutic contraindications exist, and many have been well documented in the field of laboratory medicine. A common example is corticosteroid usage in laboratory rabbits. The exotic animal practitioner needs to be fully aware of these limitations and implications and be willing to perform a thorough literature search for already established information when contemplating the use of a novel drug in exotic animal species.

Rabbits and Steroids

Steroids in rabbits cause two types of adverse reactions. Corticosteroids cause a severe immune suppression and liver toxicity. Other internal organs can also be affected. This is not a new finding but has been recognized since the middle of the last century.

The rabbit is a corticosteroid-sensitive species. Therefore, even small, one-time doses can cause severe changes in rabbits. A review of these changes was reported by Borgmann and coworkers. Toxicity in rabbits was documented in lymphoid organs, the liver, and the adrenal gland.

Toxicity was caused by ocular administration of steroids. Typical hepatic changes caused by steroid administration in rabbits include lipid deposits, glycogen deposition, vacuolization, and hydropic degeneration. These changes were seen whether steroids were given orally, ocular, or subcutaneously.

The immune system is affected by steroids in a multitude of ways. Atrophy and disappearance of lymphoid tissue of Peyer’s patches is described as well as lymphoid tissue in the spleen.

Studies have directly revealed the severe damage that occurs to the rabbit liver with administration of steroids. Even with low steroid doses, biochemical evidence of hepatic destruction was demonstrated. Bile acid concentration increased remarkably with steroid administration. In this study, liver pathology included marked proliferation of cholangioles and bile ducts with mononuclear cell infiltrates in portal areas. Some of these steroid-treated rabbits also had gastric ulceration and gastritis.

Other studies looked directly at the affects of steroid-induced immunosuppression in rabbits and the rabbit’s ability to fight off infection. Numerous studies have shown that steroid immunosuppression causes a decreased survival in rabbits.

Rabbits administered corticosteroids are used as a model for studying meningitis. The steroids, even given just once, reduce the immune response, allowing better study of the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

Models of knee joint infections and the influence and effectiveness of antibiotics require the use of steroids in rabbits. Once steroids are given, increased destruction of the knee joint occurs and the antibiotics are less effective.

Another model of infection is the rabbit keratitis protocol. One dose of a steroid causes enough suppression that invasive lesions of the cornea and treatment can be thoroughly studied.

I was at the rabbit conference yesterday... From what I could gather steroids are risky in buns are they suppress the immune system so much and if a bun is unwell they are already immune suppressed. I would just be a little worried about giving about giving steroids. They said giving short acting steroids is a possibility but NSAIDs (such as metacam) are a better option. I'm not a vet though so can't tell you to go against what your vet has said. As long as its just short acting steroids it should be ok was the impression I got, if your vet has tried everything else it may be the option left that they can see to try

I was at the rabbit conference yesterday... From what I could gather steroids are risky in buns are they suppress the immune system so much and if a bun is unwell they are already immune suppressed. I would just be a little worried about giving about giving steroids. They said giving short acting steroids is a possibility but NSAIDs (such as metacam) are a better option. I'm not a vet though so can't tell you to go against what your vet has said. As long as its just short acting steroids it should be ok was the impression I got, if your vet has tried everything else it may be the option left that they can see to try

I agree

Whilst Steroids are generally contraindicated in Rabbits for the reasons already given if a Bun is in 'the last chance saloon' then there is little to loose and personally I would take the risk.

I have had a couple of Rabbits who have been on longterm steroids and antibiotics and for both of them it bought them an extra year of good quality life.
Neither were effected by any adverse side effects.

I have a feeling that 'Louise and Gus' little bun Poppy was recently treated with steroids as part of her medication for head tilt etc. Louise has a very rabbit savvy vet and, in spite of the risks, it was felt the best option at the time. Poppy made a full recovery and is now not wonky any more :) It is risky, but it can pay off - it's something that only you and your vet can discuss and decide; hopefully your vet was chatting to some bunny savvy vets about the case and has heard from them about good responses they have had with it too.

Good luck xxx

Comet had a steriod when he first developed head tilt and nyagsmus (sp?). I was very wary about it but my vet has always been very good so I trusted their judgement. In our case it payed off as he improved much quicker than I expected.

My 14 week old bunny has had a steroid injection as well as a 4 day course (orally) once daily at a .01 dose. Whilst steroids can have a downside, I've got to say it's made a vast improvement in Yoda's disorientation. He's completely stopped rolling and seems to have balance. In terms of his quality of life, I think I made the right choice. That being said, every rabbit is individual. But if you're rabbit has quite a severe head tilt it might be worth a try.

Back