• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Bunny Basic Pellets

lilgems91

Mama Doe
How many people on R.U use the oxbow bunny basic pellets? Im aware that the fibre content is higher than most other pellets, is this a good thing?

:wave:

I used to feed them, but my rabbits went off them after a while. They are a good pellet feed though, and the high fibre is good. The higher the fibre content, the better. :)

That good then, the fibre content seems to be very high! And the calcium content seems fairly good too.

I have a bun who has been a dental bun and suffers from snuffles, he goes off his hay quite a lot, so Im thinking these may come in handy for him :)

I use them. The bunnys love them, act like they've been starved when I put them in each morning (they haven't).

:wave: My lot have them.

I have a none-hay eating bun and his poops are lovely, big and golden most of the time. They are timothy hay based.
They were not keen on changing over at first and now they love them. I wouldn't feed anything else now.

:thumb: Brilliant, it sounds like a good option for my boy then :)

Cupcake was spayed about a month ago, has anybody had any problems with weight gain with this pellet? :)

I have to leave the pellets for Katy and Homer "free" so no problem and in fact Katy is overweight. Homer's weight is maintained (he is the non-hay eater).

If you do get as problem with weight they also do a young rabbit one which is alfalfa hay based but there is more calcium in that I think.

:thumb: Brilliant, it sounds like a good option for my boy then :)

Cupcake was spayed about a month ago, has anybody had any problems with weight gain with this pellet? :)

I have my spayed girlies on it with no weight gain issues at all. Just remember that weight gain is a risk with neutered females, no matter what food they are on, the appetite can seriously increase, so if you are aware of the risk, you can keep an eye on her and reduce the quantity if needs be. :D

Thanks for all your advice :)

I think this is a definate must for my 2, and I will remember to monitor the weight of my doe.

Howcome not many people on the forum use them? Strange, as the fibre content is so high? :)

They are expensive, it is about £15 for a 4.5kg bag.
I normally get my vet to order to avoid postage costs as there is not much difference in the price of the item.

They're not as easy to get hold of as a lot of other pellets. I have to buy mine online or not at all as nowhere local to me stocks them.

Back