• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT RABBIT FIGHT. What can I wash the wounds with? PHOTOS POST 4 *Quite graphic*

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Long story but it sealed Leo and Lois will not bond. Despite being away bonding with the rescue center for a week they have come home today to a fully disinfected hutch and had another fight. This time Lois has a cut to her lip and Lois has been bitten on his side, she's bit the very top layer of his skin.

I'm having a nightmare with my parents who won't take me to the vet, so just trying to arrange another way of getting there. Thing is it will cost me around £20+ for a taxi there and another £20+ back, then on top of that the emergency consultation fee and any medicine. Obviously not going to not get them treatment but just need to figure out where this money is coming from as I don't have a credit card.

As a temporary measure is it worth while cleaning up the area with some cooled boiled water?

Last edited:
Long story but it sealed Leo and Lois will not bond. Despite being away bonding with the rescue center for a week they have come home today to a fully disinfected hutch and had another fight. This time Lois has a cut to her lip and Lois has been bitten on his side, she's bit the very top layer of his skin.

I'm having a nightmare with my parents who won't take me to the vet, so just trying to arrange another way of getting there. Thing is it will cost me around £20+ for a taxi there and another £20+ back, then on top of that the emergency consultation fee and any medicine. Obviously not going to not get them treatment but just need to figure out where this money is coming from as I don't have a credit card.

As a temporary measure is it worth while cleaning up the area with some cooled boiled water?

Yes, definitely

Sorry you are having such a stressful time and I hope that the wounds are not too serious.

Thanks Jane. I've had such a horrible time these past few weeks and tried everything to keep these two together. Thing is, they've been as good as gold whilst they've been away apparently, grooming each other and being all loved up. So there's obviously still hope but here they've decided to become very territorial over the levels of their hutch and I just don't have the space to have a one level hutch.

Going to have to have a long hard thing about the situation.

I'll get wound washing now.

*squishes tight* You're doing ok. I'm so sorry things are stressful though. I hope both bunnies are ok.

4a46522a.jpg

Leo

29c8124c.jpg

Lois

I feel sick. I didn't realize how bad they were until I started cleaning. Leos tear in the skin is easily the size of a 50p, if not larger and Lois' looks deep. I just don't know what to do. I'm supposed to be going out in 50mins with my OH's family as well and he'll kill me if I don't turn up for "just a rabbit". My parents think I'm being pathetic getting stressed out over it whilst it's "only a scratch" and I'm terrified it'll get infected etc etc if I don't get to the vets.

:cry:

Get them cleaned up, use a tiny bit of salt in the water.
Have you got any metacam in?
They should be okay until the morning but I would worry about them being in pain. :(
If it were me I would not want to leave them, I'd want to make sure they were eating etc.
Also you could keep them in one level of the hutch if you try again to bond them and once they're fine give them the other level.

4a46522a.jpg

Leo

29c8124c.jpg

Lois

I feel sick. I didn't realize how bad they were until I started cleaning. Leos tear in the skin is easily the size of a 50p, if not larger and Lois' looks deep. I just don't know what to do. I'm supposed to be going out in 50mins with my OH's family as well and he'll kill me if I don't turn up for "just a rabbit". My parents think I'm being pathetic getting stressed out over it whilst it's "only a scratch" and I'm terrified it'll get infected etc etc if I don't get to the vets.

The second one definitely needs Vet attention. It is a very penetrating wound in a place where you really dont want an abscess forming.
Could you try bribing the rents, offer to do something constructive/useful for them in return for transport to the Vets ?

Get them cleaned up, use a tiny bit of salt in the water.
Have you got any metacam in?
They should be okay until the morning but I would worry about them being in pain. :(
If it were me I would not want to leave them, I'd want to make sure they were eating etc.
Also you could keep them in one level of the hutch if you try again to bond them and once they're fine give them the other level.

Sadly no, we did have some in up until the other week but I threw it out as it was past it's best. I really don't want to leave them either might come to an agreement with my OH about coming home after an hour or so. I've put their fave veg in with them and a bit of banana plus a few counted out pellets so I know exactly what's going in and out.

I don't think the one level will work really and don't know if I want to take any chances. I'll have to have another think and talk to the rescue.

Looking at the pictures they definitely need a vet now, they are bad wounds. The longer it is left the tissue will start to die and joining it back together will be much more difficult :(

I hope you can sort something out, what a nightmare x

The second one definitely needs Vet attention. It is a very penetrating wound in a place where you really dont want an abscess forming.
Could you try bribing the rents, offer to do something constructive/useful for them in return for transport to the Vets ?

I've already asked. I feel like a child at the moment, at the end of the day I'm 21 and earning more money than my dad yet I still rely on them for stuff like this, really need to learn how to drive.

I reckon if I beg they will take me in the morning but right now, I don't have a chance. Honestly, do you think it can wait until the morning (when I can potentially get a friend or another relative to drive me?) or should I get there now. In an ideal world I would be there now and I know it's not fair on the animals to leave it but my hands are tied so please no-one flame me. I've already spent over £500 this month in unexpected bills so it's used up my emergency fund a fair bit.

I appreciate everyone's advice I really do.

I've already asked. I feel like a child at the moment, at the end of the day I'm 21 and earning more money than my dad yet I still rely on them for stuff like this, really need to learn how to drive.

I reckon if I beg they will take me in the morning but right now, I don't have a chance. Honestly, do you think it can wait until the morning (when I can potentially get a friend or another relative to drive me?) or should I get there now. In an ideal world I would be there now and I know it's not fair on the animals to leave it but my hands are tied so please no-one flame me. I've already spent over £500 this month in unexpected bills so it's used up my emergency fund a fair bit.

I appreciate everyone's advice I really do.

Have PM'd you :)

I can completely understand your situation and how hard this is for you but they really need antibiotics AND pain relief!! I imagine they are in a fair bit of pain.

A couple of years ago two of my buns had a big fight, one was badly bitten underneath and my parents wouldn't take him to a vet as it was "just a small bite". I bathed the wound and left him over night, the next day the wound was massively inflammed and had turned black - He needed emergency surgery to remove all the dead tissue. It cost a small fortune.

I know it's hard for you, I've had my fair share of family and money issues but you are responsible for those bunnies! Please get them help tonight.

*massive hugs for you and vibes for the buns*

how frightening :( I hope you can get to a vet, maybe someone here lives near you and would be willing to drive you?

I would deffo get to a vet hun, especially for the one next to the buns mouth as that can cause probs for eating if it is painful or if its gets an infection xx

Ouchies, poor bunnies :(

Would your vets let you pay back the money to them another time and just keep the money on your account? I know our vets do this, it's worth phoneing them up, explaining your situation and asking anyway.

((hugs)) to you and some vibes on the way for both Leo and Lois :love:

Just thought I would pop in and see how they are?
I hate bunny fight wounds!! I had 2 fighters this year, metacam, antibiotics and some of their cleaner (we use hibi scrub) was good, we also found a wound spray called D10 which was amazing, it also prevents flystrike (my wounds were in sunner though)

Good luck and I hope they are ok

Just thought I would pop in and see how they are?
I hate bunny fight wounds!! I had 2 fighters this year, metacam, antibiotics and some of their cleaner (we use hibi scrub) was good, we also found a wound spray called D10 which was amazing, it also prevents flystrike (my wounds were in sunner though)

Good luck and I hope they are ok

Thankyou for asking!

Well, I didn't manage to get to a vets yesterday but I did manage to get hold of some baytril and metacam, so spoke to the vets and administered that from home. Woke up through the night to check on them and my main concern now is Lois has only done 2 small hard poops and Leo hasn't done any, so obviously will be going to the vets asap. They are eating which I guess is a good sign but as I can get a lift today I'm not going to take any chances.

Back