• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns in runs on what use to be grass over winter or not?

andy5898

Warren Scout
My 2 hutches of bunnies both have attached runs, which did have grass in the runs until the last lot of rain and basically has turned to mud.

I'm thinking of putting paving stones in the runs for the winter then lift them up in the spring and lay turf. It's just the buns seem to have to constantly be hopping through the mud in the runs and I'm concerned that it can't be doing there paws any good being in mud lots. I know in the wild the bunnies live on grass but they aren't constantly using the same bit. Does this seem a sensible idea?

Thanks

I would put paving slabs down. It will just get more muddy as winter draws in, and standing in mud is not good for their feet at all.

If it were me, I would lay paving slabs. The main run for my rabbits is on paving slabs, with access to an area of garden for running and digging.

Back