• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine incontinence

jane28

Alpha Buck
One of my two has developed a really wet bum. It has only just started in the past couple of weeks but she has had some urine scalding and fur has disappeared. She was fine a couple of weeks ago. She's been to the vets for a bath and dried out and some fuciderm today (no infection) but since coming back we've noticed she's peeing on the paper (only a couple of times) and not always in the 2massive poo boxes full of hay... She is eating fine, running about and personality wise is fine but just checked her again now and she's wet again... Not as much as before but I've wiped her with some toilet paper and popped her back in the pen and she went straight to eat :roll:
The pen is on Lino and covered in paper... I'm expecting a bit of wetness as her hair is sparse but I have no idea where it's come from. She's not sitting in her own wee as she's moving around a lot... Poos are fine...
Has anyone had any experience of urine incontinence/keeping a bun clean when they have a problem like this?
We are amazed at how quickly this has arrived... We are going to continue wiping her every day and give it a week before contacting the vets again but is this something that can be controlled?

Hi Jane, sorry to hear your bunny seems to be having problems with urine incontinence. It is not normal for a bun to have a wet bum so it sounds like there is something going on that needs further investiation from the vets. It would be hard for anyone to suggest what it may be as it could be anything from a urinary tract infection, EC, mobility issue, kidney/calcium issue, dental issue etc so it would be best to go back to the vets and describe what's happening and how to treat/manage the condition. I have two urinary incontinent buns and it is manageable but it could be a temporary problem like a UTI with your bun so best to ask the vet.

In the meantime you are doing the right thing by trying to keep her clean and dry - very important to prevent pain from scalding and also to prevent flystrike. There are some suggestions on this thread I posted on recently about how to clean a bunny's bottom: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ice-on-urine-scald-and-UTI&highlight=sudocrem Hope you don't mind me linking to that rather than typing it all out again.

That's very helpful thanks. It's near on impossible for me to bathe her by myself (boyfriend has a condition which means he can't twist his arms certain ways so he can't hold the buns properly :( ) but will def give the vets a call on Monday. I'm hoping it's just a uti infection because her teeth are fine and she's fine in herself.

Back